• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

brakes

joey7478

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 ranger
Make / Model
1990 ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Having trouble with my brakes 1999 ranger. replaced master cyclender rear brakes and bleed the whole system. front pads are like new. But the the pedal still go allmost to floor. can someone help me?

cvar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Did you bench-bleed the MC before installation? You need to.

joey7478

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 ranger
Make / Model
1990 ranger
Transmission
Automatic
My brakes suck they go almost to floor. replaced master cyclender that was off my parts truck . I know it was working because I just drove it. I also replaced brake shoes and front pads were like new. when pushing pedal without engine running it sounds like air is coming from under dash. cound it be the power brake booster? Thanks Joey!

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
When you apply the brakes do you get a "brake" light on the dash?

Did you manually adjust the rear brakes when you put it back together? They should be adjusted so that you can just hear them touching the drums when you turn it.

My guess is that if you have no light and and the brakes are/have been adjusted you still have air in the system.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
also check the brake hoses make sure they are not blowing up like a balloon when you are pressing the brake pedal...could also be a defective master cylinder they are not always good out of the box....

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
i'd start looking for leaks. start at bleader screws, all connections, rear wheel brake cylinder.

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
I had a simular problem, I replaced the booster and that helped but didn't fix it . I was inspecting the vacuum lines and noticed that the rubber grommet that goes into the booster with the vacuum line was dried out and wasn't sealed. Replaced the line and rubber grommet and it works much better. I don't know if that will help you but it is an idea.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My brakes suck they go almost to floor. replaced master cyclender that was off my parts truck . I know it was working because I just drove it. I also replaced brake shoes and front pads were like new. when pushing pedal without engine running it sounds like air is coming from under dash. cound it be the power brake booster? Thanks Joey!

hard pedal would indicate a bad booster
soft pedal or excessive pedal travel would be either air in line or rear brakes not adjusted properly.. rear brakes should be adjusted manually with star adjuster inside drum so that there is a slight drag from shoes on the drum. also make sure that e brake cables are released all the way and not sticking as this could cause rear wheel cylinder to have excessive travel.

joey7478

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 ranger
Make / Model
1990 ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have checked for leaks every where can't see any and fluid in master isn't going down. When engine is off you can pump the pedal and it feels alright but when you start engine pedal go way down. I've bled the brakes at least 5 times.:bawling:

joey7478

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 ranger
Make / Model
1990 ranger
Transmission
Automatic
hard pedal would indicate a bad booster
soft pedal or excessive pedal travel would be either air in line or rear brakes not adjusted properly.. rear brakes should be adjusted manually with star adjuster inside drum so that there is a slight drag from shoes on the drum. also make sure that e brake cables are released all the way and not sticking as this could cause rear wheel cylinder to have excessive travel.
when engine is off you can pump pedal and it feels good but when you start engine pedal goes way down.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have checked for leaks every where can't see any and fluid in master isn't going down. When engine is off you can pump the pedal and it feels alright but when you start engine pedal go way down. I've bled the brakes at least 5 times.:bawling:

try adjusting the rear brakes.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
when engine is off you can pump pedal and it feels good but when you start engine pedal goes way down.
again try adjusting the rear brakes...

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
x2 on making sure there is no air in the lines (bleeding) and manually adjusting the rear brakes.

AJ

joey7478

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 ranger
Make / Model
1990 ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I did and still didn't help. Some one told me to bypass the anti brake system on fender wheel. What wood happen if I did this?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals