• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to unscrew?: EGR line to EGR valve('91 2.3)

k3eax

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I need to replace the EGR valve but despite efforts I cannot break-loose the nut connecting the line to the valve And yes, I've tried PbBlaster, etc.

I've thought of cutting through a portion of the line near the connecting nut and "splicing" on a new section of line with its connecting nut. This however, I'd like to avoid.

My predicament cannot be unique in the annals of Ranger ownership andso I'm hoping to hear of a solution from other who've had the same problem.

Al

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I need to replace the EGR valve but despite efforts I cannot break-loose the nut connecting the line to the valve And yes, I've tried PbBlaster, etc.

I've thought of cutting through a portion of the line near the connecting nut and "splicing" on a new section of line with its connecting nut. This however, I'd like to avoid.

My predicament cannot be unique in the annals of Ranger ownership andso I'm hoping to hear of a solution from other who've had the same problem.

Al

try getting egr really hot (red hot) all the way around threads it should break loose then.. when putting new egr on use antiseize on threads..

k3eax

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks B-D for taking the time to reply. I thought of "cherry-ing" the nut but applying a torch would be too risky as their there is much nearby that is is electrical and alloy.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Heat is the way to go man. And you don't want to cherry the nut, you want to cherry the body of the valve.

If you are afraid to get a torch in there just run the engine. It will get plenty hot.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've heard of, but never tried, a freeze spray that might help shrink apart the pieces after being heated up by running the motor.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've heard of, but never tried, a freeze spray that might help shrink apart the pieces after being heated up by running the motor.

its called water:D:D

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Derf_the_Mule

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I recently removed the very stuck EGR nut on my 2007 Ranger 3.0L and last year I removed the very stuck EGR nut on my 1998 Ranger 4.0L using the same method listed below. I have used this method to remove many stuck bolts when a mechanical means to press (or bang) it out was not available to me.

--Spray with PB Blaster.
--Let sit, believing it will work this time and it didn't last time.
--Bang knuckles, cuss, scream, get biggest wrench I can find while wasting time and energy.
--Use can of refrigerant (spray air) upside down to freeze EGR and nut. (Don't use the stuff with bitterant added. You will regret it.)
--Wait until I calm down.
--Use large wrench to break nut loose. I used ~9" Channel Lock pliers. (I had to loosen the power steering reservoir on the '07 3.0L to get enough room for my pliers.) I used larger pliers or a large >12" pipe wrench on the '98 4.0L. It hadn't been removed ever.

I use the DustOff Brand FGSR with the Chrome valve. The cans with the plastic valves have bitterant added to discourage huffing. If you spray it out liquid the bitterant will stick to your skin for days and engine components for months and may make you gag. And when you touch it later it will again stick to your hands for days. Ask me how I know.

You could try using propane, but that is extremely dangerous.

Good luck busting those knuckles!!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals