• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1985 Ranger 5.0l efi swap question.

Ranger302Boss

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I just want to know if anyone swap one 5.0l efi engine (from explorer) in a 1985 ranger , I dont like carbureted , and maybe could help me find topics.
I care about the instrumentation in-dash tachometer , the check engine light, obd2 port and abs. ill plan to buy a whole explerer 99 5.0l.
Obiously the rangers board does havent all that, so it will not be just plug and play.
im searching for topics, but i just find carbureted 5.0l swaps.

thx in advance.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

Ranger302Boss

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Nice dude, thanks.

Send from my Moto X using Tapatalk

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Just remember that there is a world of difference between swapping in a Mustang 5.0HO engine a non-HO crown Vic engine or other EFI5.0 and the Explorer EDIS8 GT40 engine

a Friend of mine is doing a conversion on a 1999 4.0 4x4 supercab, he is working with a complete Mercury Mountaineer 5.0 as a donor. but at one point actually had an Explorer 5.0 engine sitting on the engine mounts my Bare '02 frame (a project that I'm going a different way with) simply to keep the engine off the ground.

AD

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Your better off using a 96-97 explorer as your donor, so you don't have pats to deal with, or the returnless fuel style. You will need to get the fuel lines, fuel tank and pump sending unit, fuel pump wires from a donor truck with the same wheelbase/cab configuration as yours (89-97 is the year range to get your parts from). Fuel gauge will also need to be changed, grabbing an 88 instrument cluster should plug into your harness, otherwise you'll need to grab a dash harness from an 88 as well. The mechanical part of the swap is easy, and has been done and documented many times...

SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals