• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 not starting

monkguru

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have an 86 ranger 2.9 was kept in pretty good shape. It seems, I don't know if its a coincidence, but when it rains or the earlier time the snow melted and I didn't clean the truck off, it won't start. after a day, day and a half it starts right up. Starter cranks strong. I pulled several plugs to check for fire and looks great. I don't have a fuel pressure guage, but fuel spurts out good at the fuel rail. I only hear the high pres pump buzz when I turn the key, but strange enough, I don't hear the intank one when it does start. I have replace the tfi a few months ago, and I pulled off dist and cleaned it, it too looks fairly new. I did pull codes 21, 24, 31, 89. But I believe I've had these codes for a while, and so far this has happened three times after a day of sitting it will start, always raining overnight when it won't the next day. The engine won't even try to fire.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
How old are the plug wires?

monkguru

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Plug wires

Plug wires look in good shape, I've only had the truck about 2 yrs, and was pretty well maintaind. When I got it, it looked like they did a tune up new cap wires and plugs. I would have to say the porciline on the plugs looks orangish burn looking. Gaps look ok yet. The fire when I check them. Blackish tint to the electrodes, but it is an 86. I'm willing to bet tomorrow it starts again 48 and sunny.

monkguru

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Any suggestions? What could the weather affect other than dist.?

schwabbie86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I had problems with my 86 2.9 when it wouldn't start sometimes and run fine sometimes... ended up being a faulty ECU

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
water in gas freezing? possibly

i would change cap rotor wires and plugs if it was my truck. just for piece of mind

also change fuel filter again piece of mind

check coil for cracks loose bad connections carbon tracking also check cap for same

monkguru

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I was considering the ecu, but was hoping to eliminate that as since I got codes and pass 11 and no other symptoms. I had a leak in my tank about 2 months ago, and did put a new gas tank in. Also I thought about freezing and put gas treatment in on last fill up. Today I will try new plugs and wires. Cap looks fairly new and dry though.

koths211

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger x3
Engine Size
2.9l,4.0,2.3,3.0
Transmission
Automatic
does your year have a single lead coil ? my 89 has one and that was a big problem at one point. it ran like crap...that is when it would run. good luck.

truckerdawg

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
31X10.50
Next time it rains enough to cause the problem pull the distributor cap off and spray the inside with a drying agent and the same to the parts on the distributor(those encapsulated with the cap on like rotor button etc..). Sometimes it will condense a lot of moisture inside.

88SXT

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Make sure the distributor retainer is tightened down. Mine started fine the other night and wouldn't the next day when it was raining. Discovered that the retaining bracket bolt was loose. Tightened it down and it started fine.

However, a previous owner has hacked the crap out of my wiring harness so maybe I just jostled a loose connection in the process.

Last edited:

monkguru

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Been a while since Ive been on here. Since Im having similar issues again and I commented on a diff thread about this I thought I would mention that it did indeed turn out to be corrosion on wires near the coil. I don't know if they were to the coil or not. But I had someone clean all connectors and ran good all year rain and snow.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals