• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Will a 86 head run good on a 91 block?

Rangerrr86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I was given the wrong information when I bought a newer engine. I was told it was a 86 but come to find out it had the 8 spark plugs (my fault for not looking). My original head is still good so I want to put it on the new engine I have? Need help , thanks

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

saskbill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Actually could you clarify what engine was in the 86. Was it a 2.0 or a 2.3? Carbed or fuel injected?

Presumably the 91 is an injected 2.3

Rangerrr86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
The engine in the 86 was a 2.3 fuel injected. Having a hard time finding another engine in my area ��

saskbill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Have you checked out late 80s Mustangs as possible head/engine donors?

Anyway, since the original engine was FI, you should have all the parts/wiring/sensors you need. Set them side by side and check it out - if there is a hole and gear to run your distrib, you should be good to go!

Good luck

PS: FWIW, I believe the stang 2.3s didnt get 8 plugs until 1993: (Edit: and I'd be wrong about that - 91 to 93, apparently)
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2-3l-talk/87135-1993-mustang-2-3l-why-8-spark-plugs.html

A relevant thread (though it kinda got hijacked in the latter half) pretty much gives the thumbs up to older 4-plug head on newer block:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/595513-help-with-engine-swap-2-3-4-plug-to-2-3-8-plug.html

Lastly, a maybe foolish thought - what, if you are able to mount your distributor on the 91 block/head (and it will drive the 91 oil pump) would happen if you simply connected 4 of the 8 plugs (1 per cylinder, natch) and left the others as dummies? Apparently the later intakes covered up the distributor area, but if you're going to be reusing your 86 intake anyway...)

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals