• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stuck in 4wd high

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just picked the truck from getting a new engine installed. Pulled into a parking lot to look it over. I wanted to test the 4wd drive so a switched into 4wd high. Then I put it into neutral and shifted in to 4wd low it clunked into low and the light came on. I then shifted out of low into high the low light went out and it clunjed out of low. I then shifted out of high into 2wd. The 4x4 light went out but it still stayed in 4wd. Any ideas how to fix it would be great. It is dry as a bone out. Don't really want to drive it the 5 miles to my house in 4wd.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you have tools you could remove the electric motor and using pliers or visegrips physically shift it yourself. Try back and forth a few times first though, that might let any bind loose.
Good luck,

Richard

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you have tools you could remove the electric motor and using pliers or visegrips physically shift it yourself. Try back and forth a few times first though, that might let any bind loose.
Good luck,

Richard
Thanks. I was able to drive it home. This sounds dumb but I am not sure if I am in 2wd or 4wd. First time driving a 4wd Ranger. When I shift back and forth from 2wd to 4wd I can hear a relay clicking but no other noise. When I shifted into and out of low I hear a clunk. Is this normal?

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
Pick a spot where you can back up a long distance. Complete stop shift into 2wd then back straight up as long as possible or reasonable (4-10 car lengths) if you really have unlimited room. Stay straight. If that doesnt unload the case then you will have to remove the motor and manual shift.

Blacktop really does a number on the transfer case. Try to avoid it even if in a straight line. No two tires are ever the same and that tiny bit of difference in diameter when both axles are locked together and have ideal traction can bind up enough to keep the case locked up. Keep in mind for the future 4wd is for low traction situations only. The transfercase is a locker in sense just like a locking differential for a single axle but instead you lock the front tires to the rear.

Clunk in and out of low is pretty standard. Not hearing much from 2wd to 4hi is also normal. That is a pretty quiet transition because there is no gear reduction as in shifting to low range.

Last edited:

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks bigmark. I will check it tommorrow in the light. I will have some help and be able to see if the shift motor is working.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals