• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission Wiring Harness Problems

tecboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4 Cyl
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Honesty is the best policy!
Hello all! I have a 2005 ford ranger, 4 cyl, auto trans. Took it to have rebuilt and over the last 9 months, the company that rebuild the tranny said the wiring harness was bad. They replaced. After being replaced again, they called and said the harness was destroyed again. I asked "Destroyed?" they said yes and they think someone is trying to destroy my transmission by putting brake fluid in the tranny. I guess they think the brake fluid is ruining the harness. I asked them, how they know brake fluid is the issue? They said they just know and they have seen it before. Do I just trust their word and be a dumb *ss and go along with that? I have taken this tranny back 3 times already after a full rebuild (supposedly) and have had issues. Things seem to go great for a while but The OD light comes on after a while and flashes. I use the truck for pest control services. It seems that they are trying to get out of the warranty of 24 months. Now they have created this conspiracy theory saying that my employees are putting brake fluid in the transmission fluid fill. This is crap! Does anyone know what could destroy the wiring harness like that? Anyone have this issue in the past? Please help if you have any info to share. The truck is in the shop and I told them I will take them to court if needbe. They seem honest enough but in Miami you never know. Any advise is appreciated.

downer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97 4.0 OHV 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
no, i would not trust their word. especially since it sounds like they are putting more effort into NOT fixing it. check the terms of the warranty over and see if you can make some phone calls higher up the company's food chain.

a second opinion from a competent transmission shop, or even a dealer would certainly help your case if this dispute continues. have you seen the 'destroyed' harness? do they have anything supporting the brake fluid theory?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, I haven't heard that one before either. I would think the harness is more likely to be damaged by heat than brake fluid. I would find out if they flushed the cooler out and checked to make sure it is flowing properly before putting the trans back in.

tecboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4 Cyl
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Continued Transmission Problems

ok so now we resolve the issue with the wiring harness and he fixes the harness and were running down the road and low and behold, we get the OD light flashing again and hard shifting. So now I take it back! The truck sits there for 3.5 weeks as I call each day they tell me they are testing it and trying to resolve it. Now they come back and tell me the rear end noise (which I am aware of, gears winding) is creating a problem with the transmission. They tell me they will put a used rear end in for 800.00. and that will fix the drag thats being created on the tranny. Like a dumbass I pay the 800.00 thinking its going to resolve the problem. (this truck makes 1500 a day) so im thinking, I cant lose anymore money, get it done. Finally 3.5 weeks later I get the call come and get the truck its done! Woooohooooo! Now I dont have to go to court with these bastids and I can put that truck back in the rotation. I do to pick it up, drive i back to the shop and by the time I get it back the OD light is on!!!!!! WTF! I call him and he tells me to bring it back and he will test it! NOT ME! IM going to court!

So now I take it to aamco transmission to get it fixed the right way! 1700 dollars later and 3 weeks later they call me and tell me the brain is bad, 300 to fix and program the brain, finally I take it home. Its been about a month now and this morning my tech tells me the check engine light is on giving a Po715 code. Turbine speed sensor, and OD light is on and hard shifting again. This thing is posessed! No one seems to know what they are doing with this thing. 2 Tranny shops have no idea. I dont trust anyone anymore.

My purpose here is to see if anyone can recommend a tranny place I can buy a remanufactured tranny from and Ill have it shipped and have my mechanic put the tranny in for me.

I cannot keep going back and forth with these idiots. I dont trust anyone any more. Tranny shops seem to be a ripoff. They wont even diagnose an issue unless they tear the tranny down, and that costs 400 to do.

Any help is appreciated!

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not being familiar with a 2005 model I will anyway weigh in on older models. The Od has been controlled by the engine. If the engine is under load or not running up to par the Od will not come on and the vehicle stays in the lower gear.
So in the past a good tune would help.

Also if the vehicle is loaded to the max the od is reluctant to work.

Or if there is a tall load that catches the wind the Od is again reluctant as the load on the engine is too great.

Once more I will say I am not familiar with the 2005 tranny.

As for the wiring harness what chemicals might have leaked and ruint the harness?

Big Jim

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Words of wisdom from Gloria Roosen
"When having an A4LD rebuilt, there are a couple of things that you need to make sure of.
First and foremost, do not let a shop do a soft parts fix only (clutches, servos, and bands). This will almost ensure that you will have another repair needed right after the 1-year warranty is out.
Other things you want to have replaced are: forward one-way clutch (always), overdrive drum (stamped tin, replace if out of round or heat damaged), pump (Ford only, rebuilds are prone to failure), and the converter (get the better converter with the improved lock-up clutch and brazed fins).
Also, get references from the shop and call the people.
Just because they can rebuild TH350's and C4's does not mean they know what they are doing with overdrive transmissions."

The A4LD transmission is the grandfather of your trans.
"The 4R44E was an updated version of the A4LD with full electronic control, introducing duty-controlled TCC lockup."
You have the 5R44E, so all that Gloria said applies to yours.

Trans shops are doing a soft parts fix, that is what they do and on many transmission that will work longer than the warranty, so they are covered.
On the A4LD/5R44E it won't work.

And just FYI, if harness was a problem then you would have gotten the CEL each and every time, it is part of the electronics and that is what the computer monitors and turns on the CEL for.
So call BS.

And another FYI, adding brake fluid to automatic transmission was a FIX years ago, it helped swelled seals to get a few more miles out of a slipping transmission, I guess these guys are too young to know that, lol, so call BS AGAIN!

No one knows everything, but when people start making up sh!t, you know you are at the wrong shop.

And the computer(brains) could have been your problem all along, you can't assume that is BS, although I can say that it could be a pattern in your local shops.
More like DIYers throwing parts at a problem hoping for a fix.

And if you decide on a rebuild make sure it wasn't just a soft parts fix, get a list of new parts inside

Last edited:

tecboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4 Cyl
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Thanks so much. That makes lots of sense. I'm looking to purchase a remanufactured transmission from certifiedtransmission.com

Any advice here? sems like a reputable place. Tranny completely rebuilt 1800 300 delivered 400 core recovered. 3 year complete warranty

Let me know what you think.

Thanks again

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Never used them so have no basis to give advice on that.

Do they provide a list of parts that were replaced with new parts?
Soft parts fix only will mean problems.....................again
A warranty is nice but if something was built right the first time you shouldn't ever need it, and for something like a transmission the down time and labor becomes an issue.

tecboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4 Cyl
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Thanks for the info. I think Im gonna go with www.certifiedtransmission.com

3 year 100,000 mile warrranty. ALL NEW PARTS! No soft build. They pay all R&R & Shipping to my mechanic if a problem should arise. I checked them out and have many positive reviews. complete will cost me 2300.00 delivered including core cost.

Hell I spent 2 times that already throwing money at it.

Ill keep ya posted. Thanks again!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals