• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

83 2.3 4-speed clutch problems

red-ranger1983

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
According to my haynes manual 83 and 84 rangers are different when it comes to clutches. So this is for people who own/have owned or just know for certain...

I think my clutch has gone out but i dont know for sure so i was hoping someone could help...

Problem:

ignition is off and I can put it in to all of the gears and reverse fine. If i start the truck (in neutral) and try to stick it in any gear it either grinds or it wont even let me attempt to put it in. If i start the truck while in gear it starts going forward or backward (depending on the gear) while cranking over. I can get it to start and roll into first but it wont go into a gear and it resists when i try to pull it out. I did manage to go from 1st to 3rd so i could get it home. but its hard as hell...

Yes it has fluid. I really dont know what to do as far as troubleshooting. I also read you cant bleed it because the 83 and 84 are sealed units and have to be serviced at the dealer ship.. its 31 year old sooo... I just didnt know if there is anything to check before going through the hassle of replacing the clutch..

Please help!!

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Those are the classic symptoms of a clutch that won't disengage. The culprit would most likely be the clutch cylinder(s), and not the clutch itself. Unfortunately, you may have to pull your transmission anyways.

In other news, if you're tricky, once you get the truck rolling you can shift without the clutch, via careful throttle application. You cannot, however, stop moving without shutting down the engine (intentionally or otherwise) or shifting to neutral, requiring you to start it in 1st again.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
It is the classic clutch or the slave failure. How many miles on the current clutch? Since you are going to have to pull the transmission it may be smarter to just replace everything. Pressure plate, clutch plate, slave, and maybe pilot bearing. And inspect the flywheel for scoring and burning (it can be resurfaced by your local machine shop).

Just saying!!!

Last edited:

red-ranger1983

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
It is the classic clutch or the slave failure. How many miles on the current clutch? Since you are going to have to pull the transmission it may be smarter to just replace everything. Pressure plate, clutch plate, slave, and maybe pilot bearing. And inspect the flywheel for scoring and burning (it can be resurfaced by your local machine shop).

Just saying!!!
Its is my understanding that you do NOT have to pull the transmission as everything (master & slave cylinder) is external on the 83 & 84 model. At least that is what my haynes manual says.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals