• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'96 ranger 3.0L automatic front rotors

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You mention the pulsing returning after it had been raining...
Do the brakes also feel real grabby when it happens? (like it's causing the ABS to activate)?

The rain thing has me suspecting it might actually be the rear drum brake shoes that often get grabby (sometimes exceedingly so) when the humidity is real high.

If they feel grabby, see if you can get it to go away by riding the parking brake for a block or two to warm the brakes up a bit (be gentle at first--- hold the brake release so you can let the pedal back up right away. If they're real grabby this could actually lock up the wheels, so you'll want to do this away from other traffic)... If things return to normal after doing this, then that is where your issue is.

I've never been able to find a good solution for this on mine (been through 3 different sets of shoes), so I've always just dealt with it by heating the brakes up some with the parking brake when it happens, after which they're fine until the next morning or after the truck has been parked for some hours (or when clear weather returns).
I'll give that a try. I got the truck in October. I know the history because my dad gave it to me. He is famous for doing no maintenance on ANY vehicle until in breaks. So, I can guarantee the rear shoes have never been changed. I don't particularly like doing shoe changes on drum brakes so I didn't do them when I did the front. That said, it wouldn't be a bad idea.

I currently have a lot of dad's deferred maintenance to do. I'm not sure, but I think the truck still has original hoses in the cooling system. They're next. Well actually I need to replace the DPFE sensor first. As I clear trouble codes a new one pops up a few drive cycles later. P0401 is the latest. I purged the coolant when I got the truck. It was so rusty/dirty that it looked like raw sewerage. You can see through it now. Clean coolant makes me happy!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals