• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Front Brake rotor options, 2001 2wd, 4wheel abs coil spring.

GalaxieRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm curious as to what my options are to replace my stock worn out Front brake rotors on my 2001 2wd, 4 wheel abs, coil spring suspension.. I've not found specific performance rotors available. Will any actually fit? :icon_twisted:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If you do knuckles and everything you can use the 12" brakes from a Sport Trac.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
If you do knuckles and everything you can use the 12" brakes from a Sport Trac.

no you can't.
the top is different between the 2 knuckles. coil knuckles have a small ball stud at the top, torsion knuckles have bigger ball studs. cannot swap the upper control arms either. they are different lengths and it throws the camber WAY off.

the Sport Trac knuckles can be swapped into a torsion bar 2wd, such as an Edge, but not to a coil truck.

back to the rotor question, if the 2001 truck already has 11.28" front rotors they should be the same for 2wd coil or 2wd torsion system.
NAPA lists a 10.28 front rotor for a 2001 coil system so it depends on what you have on your truck.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
by the time 2005 rolled around, all the 2wd coil spring Rangers had 11.28" front rotors. they stop great, with reasonable size tires.
NAPA has some smaller listings for 1998-2001 front rotors. I'm not sure if a caliper/bracket upgrade would allow the larger 11.28" rotors on those years.
so it depends on what you have now.

actually the 12" 2wd front rotors from a 2001 Sport Trac will bolt right on to my 2005 coil knuckles, but that pushes the caliper mount out past the knuckle holes which prevents the caliper/bracket from bolting on. in other words, close but no cigar unless I machine some custom mounting brackets.

if you are close to Toledo I could stop by and we could compare brakes.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals