• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bummed, motor stuck again (rant)

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
this is more a rant than asking for advice,

I'm selling my 93 long bed 4.0 four-wheel drive, thisthis winter I couldn't get in the four-wheel drive after the snow is gone, then! I could get it into 4 wheel drive, now I'm trying to sell the truck and four-wheel drive won't go in again! I'm so tired of crawling under trucks! I'm ready to hit it with a hammer LOL

On the 94 supercab I haven't even attempted to play with the four-wheel drive Electronics an electric motor yet.
But, while vacuuming out the cab, I put down one of the jump seats and found the module is unplugged so I plugged it back in, that's as far as I went any advice there before I even start? Lol

Still thinking about my other discussion on using a flexible shaft to complement the shiftster.

I may just take apart a shift motor and check if that bushing on the gear is gone.. looks easy enough. (easy?) after it's out!

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, the electric shift motor is the usual problem if you don't have 4WD, unless you have a 1998 to 2000 Ranger then its the PVH hubs, lol.

Primary reason for failure is disuse, its an electrical device with moving parts that is exposed to the elements and never used, until it is and we are surprised it doesn't work :)

The rotor and brushes get corroded and stuck, so no electrical contact when you try to use it.
I shift my 1994 into 4WD high then Low then back to 2WD once a month sitting in the driveway, that was AFTER I had to work on it twice when it failed to shift when I needed 4WD but hadn't used it in 8 months, so learned my lessen, "use it or lose it"

Good rebuild info here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-rebuild-4x4-shift-motor.123542/

1994 and older shift module info here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/4wd_control_module.html

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
before the shifster and i guess to this day some people incorporate versions of these. yeah ya have to ha a handle in the way and a hole in the floor....but it works.

Last edited:

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I have 98 T-case in storage, I took the motor off at today I was amazed at how easy the shift shaft turns!

Bobby That right angle Drive could be very handy and some of thecreative engineering that I do in the wee hours of the morning when I can't sleep!

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
well...i hope the pics work now...

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Pictures worked fine Bobby! Thank you the check-out procedures for that module are very involved OMG and I thought computerized air conditioning systems are hard to diagnose? Omg

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Shift modules primary concern, new or old versions, is POSITION.
Shift motor has a contact wheel inside, by contacts being open or closed the shift module "knows" the position of the transfer case shift rod.

When you select 4high, the module sends 12v/ground to the shift motor and it moves contact wheel and shift rod until the contacts are in the correct "position", open/closed order for 4high.
At that time shift module will turn on the 4high light on the dash, so light coming on is dependent on the contact wheel, not on the dash board switch.
If 4WD lights flash that means the shift motor contacts were not changing, this could be blown fuse or stuck motor.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When mine stopped working I left it in 4wd with the front hubs unlocked.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals