• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 ranger 3L idle irratic

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Replaced the 21 year old fuel filter Saturday. Not really any better.
I see no mention of replacing or testing your TPS just replaced it on my truck after 3 attempts to get a new one but that's another story I had a hunting idle. Did the IAC about a week before. But I have an engine that doesn't want to warm up and I'm getting a rich condition and trying not to spend the money on oxygen sensors if I don't have to but it idles nice LOL

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I see no mention of replacing or testing your TPS just replaced it on my truck after 3 attempts to get a new one but that's another story I had a hunting idle. Did the IAC about a week before. But I have an engine that doesn't want to warm up and I'm getting a rich condition and trying not to spend the money on oxygen sensors if I don't have to but it idles nice LOL
I haven't replaced or tested the throttle position sensor (TPS). So far everything I've replaced or cleaned needed it. I'll look into testing the TPS. I don't have any codes now, but everything I've done to fix the wandering idle seems to have made it slightly worse -maybe my imagination.

BTW, I used to live near SE PA (originally from Pittsburgh area). I paddled down the Brandywine from Chadds Ford down to Rockland DE in my 17' Grumman many many times. I lived just up the road from that dam in Rockland. Looking for a new AC unit which is serious business in Atlanta but that's another matter altogether.

Last edited:

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Latest update. I checked all of the plug wires . They're new and all seem attached correctly. I tried waving an unlit propane torch around the engine bay and really couldn't pinpoint anything. I'm going to try it again, but if I have a vacuum leak its a small one.

I'm wondering about the coil packs. Do they go bad and if so how do you tell? I don't have any codes.

Does anyone have any other ideas.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, ‘dad. Which engine do you have in your truck?

When I tested the coil pack on my ’92 4.0, I did a Youtube search and got the info I needed (sorry that I can’t seem to track down the specific video I watched). You’ll need a voltmeter to do it, which I had. It’s not hard (I’m a total amateur with volt/ohmeters). Turned out that mine was fine, which saved me the expense of replacing it.

The way you describe the issue is kind of odd. Maybe the computer is messing up for some reason (I’m really bad with those)? Two members that I’ve found to be extremely knowledgeable and helpful on here are adsm08 and RonD. Maybe you can loop them in here?

Good luck, man!

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hey, ‘dad. Which engine do you have in your truck?

When I tested the coil pack on my ’92 4.0, I did a Youtube search and got the info I needed (sorry that I can’t seem to track down the specific video I watched). You’ll need a voltmeter to do it, which I had. It’s not hard (I’m a total amateur with volt/ohmeters). Turned out that mine was fine, which saved me the expense of replacing it.

The way you describe the issue is kind of odd. Maybe the computer is messing up for some reason (I’m really bad with those)? Two members that I’ve found to be extremely knowledgeable and helpful on here are adsm08 and RonD. Maybe you can loop them in here?

Good luck, man!
Mine is a 3.0L. My multi-meter is a little squirrely. My old one died - it was simple and easy to use. The new one is a much better tool but it confuses me because it does a lot of things automatically. Sometimes its hard to tell if you're on the right function.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Most multimeters have a little tiny fuse inside
Mine is a 3.0L. My multi-meter is a little squirrely. My old one died - it was simple and easy to use. The new one is a much better tool but it confuses me because it does a lot of things automatically. Sometimes its hard to tell if you're on the right function.

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Most multimeters have a little tiny fuse inside
You're right. Mine was 30 years old and died of old age. It was stored in my basement workshop for 30 years (used infrequently, but used) and I suspect that the dampness corroded the IC board or maybe killed the lcd display. I checked the fuse before I threw it away. The display was all garbled.

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Sure could use some more suggestions. You folks are my best bet. I don't know what else to check.

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Sure could use some more suggestions. You folks are my best bet. I don't know what else to check.
Well, I guess we're done here.

oranjvoodoodaddy

Reaction score
Hi 'dad, have you looked at the manifold vacuum at idle? Should be a steady 17-20inHg.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
As a suggestion because this can help control the air fuel mixture, test your O2 sensor. While these will trip a code when they go out of range if the signals vary slightly while at idle this potentially could cause the PCM to richen the fuel mixture bumping the idle a little. This should be tested while plugged into the wiring harness and is easiest using pins pushed into the back of the connector (back probing). Since you seem to have tested most other options it is worth a check just to be sure it is good.

On your 3.0L I'm not sure if you have 1, 2 or 3 O2 sensors. Since I have a 94 version with the distributor I can't go out and look and be sure.

As for your coil packs and testing, they usually have 2 condition they fall into when they start to go or go. The first is it dies, which would give you a major skip on 1 or 2 cylinders. Usually on 2 but I have seen a coil pack deliver spark to one side and not the other. The second is the coil becomes weak giving a lope to the idle due to insufficient spark to 2 different cylinders. Neither of these seem to track with the symptoms you have described.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals