• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

09 4.0 slow to drop RPM between shifts

Truckedup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2009 4.0 5 speed 4x4...Lately it seems the engine is slow to drop RPM when the accelerator pedal is released between shifts...It's more noticeable at less than 3000 rpm..When pulling to a stop the engine will slow down to a smooth 750 rpm idle after a few seconds. It runs well at all speeds, no CEL and fuel mileage is ok... I cleaned the throttle body a month ago , there was no problem then...Thanks

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I could be wrong, but that sounds like over fueling? If you were in and around the throttle body, check the throttle position sensor. Maybe some recently cleaned debris found its way into the trottle linkage causing it to stick.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It has IAC? Clean that as it affects idle rpm's.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
For emissions reasons the RPMs should hold around 1,000rpms until speedometer is below about 5MPH.

On manual transmissions RPMs should hold about 5 seconds or so between shifts, this is an MPG and emissions thing
And yes, this would only happen below 3,000rpm because IAC Valve can only hold RPMs as high as 2,000 or so

After engine is full warmed up shut off the engine and check throttle return manually.
Open throttle and let it close, making sure spring return is OK, no stickiness and it closes all the way each time.
Then start engine and repeat same test, spring needs to be STRONG to close throttle plate against air flow, there is 20" of vacuum inside the intake trying to suck throttle plate open, and any extra air = increased RPM
Air is RPM, not fuel, add extra fuel to an engine and you get a Flooded engine, add extra air and you get higher RPMs.
There is no "gas pedal" its always been an "air pedal" on gasoline engines :)

Vacuum leak test
Engine warmed up and idling, unplug the IAC Valves 2 wires.
IAC Valve will close all the way and RPMs should drop to about 500, or engine may stumble and stall, either is GOOD, it means no vacuum leaks.

If idle stays the same then there is extra air leaking in.

4.0l SOHC had a common issue at PCV hose elbow, it would crack, on the under side so you don't see it, so smaller air leak that will get bigger.

Since you did some engine work, and noticed the problem afterwords, an older brittle vacuum hose could have cracked when moving it around

Last edited:

Truckedup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I pulled off the idle air control...It looked fairly clean...I observed how it works and held the disc open while I cleaned it....Seems slightly better on the road....
Reading the post above from Rod D, I believe it's all operating as it should...
We have three 5 speed vehicles, The Ranger, a 99 Cherokee 4.0 and an 03 4.8 Silverado...They all drive a bit differently and have their odd habits...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals