• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

EEC numbers

Gary Nicholls

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If it ain't broke, you're not trying.
My 87 Ranger 2.9 has a bad EEC, I think, fails when warm. It has the number 12A650-BD1A, and at the local recyclers they have a unit from a 87 Ranger but the last numbers are BG1A. I was wondering what the difference was and if the BG1A would work in my truck, and not fry anything? I have not found anything on the 'net about those numbers.
Thanks!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
12A650 is Fords generic EEC part number, still used today for any vehicles computer(EEC)

The suffix numbers like BD1A were revision and firmware codes but Ford never released a decoder for them

There is also a stamped number on the label, read here: https://web.archive.org/web/20110414065146/http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=17

1994 and earlier EEC needs to match engine size, EGR or no EGR, manual or automatic and that's about it

2wd or 4wd didn't matter

Yours would start with E7 for 1987 so you should try to match that as well

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
My 87 Ranger 2.9 has a bad EEC, I think, fails when warm. It has the number 12A650-BD1A, and at the local recyclers they have a unit from a 87 Ranger but the last numbers are BG1A. I was wondering what the difference was and if the BG1A would work in my truck, and not fry anything? I have not found anything on the 'net about those numbers.
Thanks!
What makes you think the ecm is bad?

Gary Nicholls

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If it ain't broke, you're not trying.
Thanks RonD for the awesome fast reply! The page you linked to is very useful, appreciate it.

rusty ol ranger
"What makes you think the ecm is bad?"

I lose power to the fuel pump after 30-60 minutes, measured right at the high pressure pump. Twice I had it towed home, but next morning it starts OK. Once it quit and I just left it for a couple of hours and it started and got me home OK. Then idled it on my driveway for 30 minutes and it died, thats when measured voltage to the pump. Then when I plugged in my code reader, key on, there was no response from the computer.
I used to repair electronics/computers, and I know things can fail when warm, and electrolytic capacitors in older devices seem to be one problem, though ICs and CPUs could also fail when warm.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Thanks RonD for the awesome fast reply! The page you linked to is very useful, appreciate it.

rusty ol ranger
"What makes you think the ecm is bad?"

I lose power to the fuel pump after 30-60 minutes, measured right at the high pressure pump. Twice I had it towed home, but next morning it starts OK. Once it quit and I just left it for a couple of hours and it started and got me home OK. Then idled it on my driveway for 30 minutes and it died, thats when measured voltage to the pump. Then when I plugged in my code reader, key on, there was no response from the computer.
I used to repair electronics/computers, and I know things can fail when warm, and electrolytic capacitors in older devices seem to be one problem, though ICs and CPUs could also fail when warm.
I gotchs, yeah, no response from the cpu is not a good thing. When i read your original post i thought maybe you got some bad advice or something on why it was quitting, i know some guys will tell ya its somethin serious when it coulda just been a bad coil or something. But here i think you are correct.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

decipha

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
bunches
Make / Model
too many
Engine Size
take your pick
Transmission
Manual
My credo
decipha
loosing power like that could also be the eec relay which is a very common failure

thats the first step to diagnosing any eec intermittent issue is replacing or jumping the relay to verify the ecu is getting full power (even a restrictive relay can cause some odd issues like dumping fuel)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals