• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2003 Ranger Edge ABS issue

Rangstang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If it ain't broke, I can't fix it.
Recently bought the truck, ABS fully functional. Swapped in a spindle lift from my 2000 Ranger Trailhead (non-ABS truck) which I was getting rid of. I left the rotors on the spindles since it was easier and since I just repacked the bearings, it was a bonus. Initially, I tied the ABS sensors out of the way because it looked as though they were going to make contact with the control arm. ABS lights came on immediately when driving down the road since nothing was being read up front.

Truck mostly sat for two months, but the other day I made the necessary grinds to the control arm for clearance and installed the sensors. Drove the truck and the ABS acted weird in that it pulsed when the brakes were barely pressed. After two or three stops, the ABS light came on. Cleaned the tone rings on both sides and made sure the ABS sensors were clean as well. Rolled the truck down the street without pressing the brakes and again the light came on, but this time within 50 feet.

Keep in mind that these rotors had not previously been used on this ABS system. I also noticed when cleaning the rings that they don't appear to be the same design, so the rotors may be different suppliers. I am thinking about swapping the rotors between the trucks so that the originals are back on the truck, hoping this might resolve the issue temporarily

Any thoughts?

Rangstang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If it ain't broke, I can't fix it.
A little disappointed that no one chimed in. I did some major research on this issue and didn't find anything definitive, but I really had the feeling that the mismatched rotors might be the solution. Switched just the rotors between the trucks yesterday so that I have both Ford rotors on the 2003 Ranger with ABS. It appears that the problem is solved.

SOLUTION: Do not use different brand of rotors between sides as the exciter rings might be slightly different. Probably best to use Ford whenever possible.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals