• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

sticky throttle - cable or speed sensor?

beerhunter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hi

Thanks again for all your continued help. I took the truck for its test today.

Good news is it's mostly OK (including all the things I've fixed!). It did fail on emissions - high CO (7.3% vs limit of 3.5% at idle) and HC (1755 ppm vs limit of 1200 ppm at idle). I've been reading threads and will crawl over the engine later.

It drove fine on the way to the tester. However, on the way back, the revs insist on sitting at 3000, and only come down when you engage the clutch (so it's under load).

I expect it's a sticky cable, although it's not immediately apparent. My question is, could this be speed sensor related? I ask as someone had deliberately disconnected it - for this reason? I recently replaced the senor because I want and need a working speedo.

If, however, a duff sensor doesn't/won't show these symptoms, it'd be great to know I can disregard it as the villain.

Many thanks

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Hi

Thanks again for all your continued help. I took the truck for its test today.

Good news is it's mostly OK (including all the things I've fixed!). It did fail on emissions - high CO (7.3% vs limit of 3.5% at idle) and HC (1755 ppm vs limit of 1200 ppm at idle). I've been reading threads and will crawl over the engine later.

It drove fine on the way to the tester. However, on the way back, the revs insist on sitting at 3000, and only come down when you engage the clutch (so it's under load).

I expect it's a sticky cable, although it's not immediately apparent. My question is, could this be speed sensor related? I ask as someone had deliberately disconnected it - for this reason? I recently replaced the senor because I want and need a working speedo.

If, however, a duff sensor doesn't/won't show these symptoms, it'd be great to know I can disregard it as the villain.

Many thanks
Well you may want to do a recap since everyone probably doesn't know what you were doing and what you are working on. I just picked up another truck and has a typical high speed idle. It's usually the IAC.

beerhunter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks. The truck was idling fine (approx 800 rpm at once up to temp). However today it had decided 3000 is more appropriate.

The stuff I have been working on was suspension and steering related, so nothing to do with this issue. Apart from fitting a new speed sensor.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Thanks. The truck was idling fine (approx 800 rpm at once up to temp). However today it had decided 3000 is more appropriate.

The stuff I have been working on was suspension and steering related, so nothing to do with this issue. Apart from fitting a new speed sensor.
Never heard of a tps sticking.

Next time its idleing to the moon pop the hood and try pushing the TB closed by hand. If it doesnt calm down try wacking the IAC with a screwdriver handle.

beerhunter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks. Annoyingly, this issue has gone away without my having done anything to fix it. Hopefully it stays away...

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Thanks. Annoyingly, this issue has gone away without my having done anything to fix it. Hopefully it stays away...
Sounds like typical IAC BS

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Floor mat stuck under the accelerator pedal.

beerhunter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
No mats in it. I did go all over the footwell for anything that may have poked or somehow got snarled up, but that doesn't seem to be the answer. I'll replace the IAC and keep checking the cable regularly.

Thanks

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I agree. This sounds like a typical sticking IAC.

If the throttle body or the able were sticking you would notice the pedal not returning.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals