• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1998 Explorer 5.0 into a 1997 2.3

eazrider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have an opportunity to pick up a 1998 5.0 "all wheel drive" (??) Explorer with a bad engine, otherwise intact. I have available a 93 5.0 from a Mustang, along with an AO4D tranny ( needs computer control) from a '94 Mustang... Is this donor Explorer the right candidate to swap the 5.0 into my 2.3L 5 speed 1997 Ranger? I have not been using the AOD tranny, and do not have the harness/CPU to control the AOD. I currently have a T-5 mated to the 94 5.0. I'm guessing I will be able to use all of the motor mts, accessories, etc from the Explorer with this swap...How challenging will it be to install the T-5 into my '97 ? Any thoughts..?

Lanciadave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sounds doable using all the Explorer accessories. Is the ranger 2wd or 4wd, and are you keeping it that way?

eazrider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sounds doable using all the Explorer accessories. Is the ranger 2wd or 4wd, and are you keeping it that way?
The Ranger is 2 whl drive, and the Explorer is "all whl drive". I will not be converting the Ranger to 4WD.. I have an E4OD automatic from a '94 5.0 GT Mustang that I plan to put behind the 5.0 HO motor I plan to rebuild. Any thoughts on which stand alone controller I can use for the transmission..?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals