• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bad heater core or something else?

kossdust

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Ok so I have no heat at stop lights or any time the engine is at low RPM's. I have read in other places that it is a vacuum issue but I do not have the Heater control valve installed it is just a straight hookup to the heater core. I also replaced my water pump not 5000 miles ago and it had the problem before that (replaced water pump b/c I was doing timing belt). Fluid is also topped off. So even with the heater control valve removed can it still be a vacuum issue or is it a sign of my heater core going bad or something else?

It is a 1998 Mazda B2500 2.5L with 173k miles. The heater blend door is broken and the hot water is directly connected to the heater core.

I kind of think it is the heater core going bad and that I just need to rip into the dash replace it and the blend door. Thoughts suggestions? :icon_confused:

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think the vacuum they are referring to controls the blend doors which direct the air flow over the heater core, and not the vacuum that actuates the heater (water) control valve.

There is also a vacuum reservoir under the hood that you might want to check. If it was my truck I would check the heater core and replace it if there was any chance it was bad since they only cost about $30 and can be installed in under a half hour.:icon_cheers:

kossdust

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
There is also a vacuum reservoir under the hood that you might want to check. If it was my truck I would check the heater core and replace it if there was any chance it was bad since they only cost about $30 and can be installed in under a half hour.:icon_cheers:
:icon_rofl:

I would like to see someone pull my heater core in under an hour. It requires pulling the entire dash to get to so I am pretty sure it will take me awhile to do.

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sorry, on rereading the post I see you have a Mazda. I must have been in a hurry when reading that post.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
With the motor up to temperature touch the hoses that go to the heater core to see if they are both hot. If only one is hot you are not getting circulation through the core. One will be slightly hotter than the other if things are normal but they should both be quite hot.

kossdust

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Both are hot and I can not really tell the difference between the two. I have not tested it with it sitting idle though. I will check that tonight see if it changes if I let it sit.

kossdust

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Sorry, on rereading the post I see you have a Mazda. I must have been in a hurry when reading that post.
in 98 it really is a Ranger I always tell people I own a cross dressing Ranger:D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals