Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Old 11-24-2017, 08:29 AM   #1
Mitch_c

Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Ranger
Vehicle Model: xl
Mitch_c is on a distinguished road
Default 3.0L Vulcan Transplant - Computer Help Needed!

I was given a 3.0L V6 from a 99 Ranger. Included was the ECU, Engine wiring harness, and 5speed trans. (I have an under hood fuse box and wiring harness from a 98 Explorer.. Pinning appears to be close).

Originally I was going to keep engine as a spare for my rebodied 2003 Ranger (has 1940 Ford Pickup "skin" transplanted. Changed direction and have physically put the "spare" in a 1971 MGB, wanting it to power the roadster.

The PATS system is the only issue I don't know how to get around. I have no key or PATS matching the ECU.

Is there any way you know to wire around the PATS circuit in the ECU? Any other cost effective ways to overcome my delema?

I also have a 97 Taurus non-PATS ECU. Would it be feasible and more cost effective to use it? What would I need??

Lots of questions.... Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mitch_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Not shown to 'Premium Members')
Old 11-24-2017, 12:12 PM   #2
RonD

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
RonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant future

No, no way around PATS, programmers can reload software and delete it, no I don't know any

PATS disables fuel injectors, main point of what computer does, so a good anti-theft software.

Outside of reloading software no changes to computer can be made while it is out of the vehicle.
A mobile locksmith with Ford software on a laptop can Cut and add PATS keys to the system if it is wire up correctly in the vehicle

1999-2001 Rangers used separate PATS module(above glove box) which is "married" to the computer, so they are a matched set, if you need to change either one then only a Ford Dealer can "remarry" them.
They used RSA encryption, what that means is that each time key is turned on, a long number encrypted by Module is sent to the computer, computer then decrypts that number to get the "Start" or No Start" message.
That encrypted number changes each time so knowing what it was once doesn't help the next time.
Look up RSA encryption if you want to see how it works, very simple and very secure for this type of use.

Also a couple of other changes in the late 1990's
1998 and up computer will be set for 65psi fuel pressure, Returnless, earlier would be set for 35psi pressure

1999 and up used 2-wire Cam Sensor, earlier use 3-wire
2-wire is variable reluctance
3-wire is hall effect
Totally different signals no way to wire around that, so you need to match Cam sensor to computer year and wiring harness.
Not a big deal just need to change the cam synchro and sensor

Last edited by RonD; 11-24-2017 at 12:15 PM.
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:21 AM   #3
Mitch_c

Default Still Struggling

Well... I've not been able to find a pre-PATS 3.0L Ranger parts donor vehicle as of yet.

.. Am I correct that 95-97 are the years I need to find...correct?

.. Will a Taurus or Sable harness, ECM, etc work even if I use manual trans?

Any valid options, other than not using the 3.0L Vulcan, would greatly be appreciated.

Mitch
Old 12-19-2017, 10:49 AM   #4
RonD

Vehicle Year: 1994
RonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant future

Yes, 1995 to 1997 for fuel pressure reasons
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:24 PM   #5
stmitch
March 2011 STOTM Winner

Vehicle Year: 2000
I use this vehicle for: Surprising people
stmitch is a glorious beacon of lightstmitch is a glorious beacon of lightstmitch is a glorious beacon of lightstmitch is a glorious beacon of lightstmitch is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch_c View Post
Well... I've not been able to find a pre-PATS 3.0L Ranger parts donor vehicle as of yet.

.. Am I correct that 95-97 are the years I need to find...correct?

.. Will a Taurus or Sable harness, ECM, etc work even if I use manual trans?

Any valid options, other than not using the 3.0L Vulcan, would greatly be appreciated.

Mitch
The PCM needs to be from a manual trans Ranger. An auto PCM will be looking for inputs that aren't present with a manual transmission. Technically, you could use an aftermarket tuner and delete the auto trans functions from a Taurus PCM, or auto Ranger PCM, but it's difficult to pull off well and if you're buying a tuner, then you can just delete the PATS stuff from your current PCM.

Honestly, the custom tuner is the way that I'd go. $400-ish will get you a decent SCT handheld with 3 custom tunes that can account for most any modifications that might be required to put the Vulcan in your MG. You can change tunes anytime you want, and it can be used as a codes reader too. It will save you a bunch of time looking for the perfect donor, and then hoping that the donor PCM works as planned.
stmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 08:06 AM   #6
Mitch_c

OK... I've potentially found a 98 Ranger 3.0 manual trans ECM..

Questions are: - Will the 99 Ranger engine harness work with this?
- Will there be an issue with the Cam Positioning Sensor?
- Will an engine compartment harness from a non-ranger 3.0 manual
trans vehicle work and if so, which ones?
Old 12-24-2017, 08:22 AM   #7
Mitch_c

Trying to stay away from a custom reprogram and instead use production items, in case a future problem would arise that would result in needing to replace components...

Have a line on a computer for a 98 Ranger 5speed 3.0 computer.. should be Non-PATS.. Next is wiring harness compatibility. Only harnesses I have are 99 Ranger 4speed engine harness and 98 Explorer Sport under hood wiring harness with fuse and relay box.. These will plug together, but I've not got a good feeling about pinning compatibility.

Also, I need to know the specific minimum pin connections needed to get the engine to run.. I'm sure that not all are needed to do engine and fuel management (referring to the connections from the engine wiring harness to the under hood wiring harness..

When I started this journey, I'd hoped that a Taurus Computer would work and acquired a wiring shop manual for a 96 Taurus.. as well as an 03 Ranger..not knowing of the apparent significant differences....
Old 12-25-2017, 11:15 AM   #8
stmitch
March 2011 STOTM Winner

Vehicle Year: 2000
I use this vehicle for: Surprising people
stmitch is a glorious beacon of lightstmitch is a glorious beacon of lightstmitch is a glorious beacon of lightstmitch is a glorious beacon of lightstmitch is a glorious beacon of light

Is your 3.0 engine flex fuel, or regular? What about the non-PATS PCM that you're considering is it from a flex fuel truck? If the engine and PCM aren't the same fuel type, you'll need to swap injectors to match whatever the PCM is setup for. This could be an added expense. Try and avoid it if you can.

Some 3.0s had EGR, while others did not. This can cause issues with harness and PCM compatibility. Nothing that can't be overcome with a custom reflash, but it could present a hurdle for you. Does your 3.0 have EGR? Will the PCM be expecting it to? Is the harness setup for an EGR valve if it needs to be?

I understand wanting to avoid a reprogrammed PCM. But there are potentially a bunch of little obstacles that might have to be overcome depending on specifics of the engine, harness, and PCM that you have. They can all be taken care of by searching for the exact combination of hardware that you need, or by just reprogramming the PCM you already have and loading a new tune in 5 minutes.
You might get lucky with the parts though and not have any issues with compatibility.
stmitch is offline   Reply With Quote