• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0L SOHC cylinder head compatibility question

mjkelly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2009, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
2009 SOHC 4.0L Ranger

I have my truck's engine out and I am looking at a passenger's side (Left side?) busted head. The valve broke inside and destroyed it.

My question is will an earlier head fit my current year? Are the castings the same? The research I have done says that they phased out the engine in 2012 but ebay parts say any models from 01- 07 are compatible but I don't see why it wouldn't on an 09. Can any gurus out there clarify this?

mjkelly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2009, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

lvwill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
265/65/17
I'm just gonna throw this in. If the valve broke and screwed up the head most likely there is also damage to the piston and cylinder wall. At this point the most cost effective solution would be to just source a good used engine.

07nhbpsi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm just gonna throw this in. If the valve broke and screwed up the head most likely there is also damage to the piston and cylinder wall. At this point the most cost effective solution would be to just source a good used engine.
This here...... while finding a new head and then gaskets and such , I would most likely just consider a good used low mileage motor instead....Remember u need the special tool to set the timing on the 4.0......I've seen them motors go between $500-$1000 around here......:icon_idea:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals