• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Corey and Elise's 1983 V8 Ranger build - aka - Project Interceptor

CoreyTilton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162800
here's some slightly larger pictures of the engine all done in there

here the interior as it currently sits. still need to put in the new carpet and swap out the ranger 60/40 for the MustangII buckets i have

and here it is sitting rather majestically

this is it with the rest of our fleet
1985 Fruehauf enclosed trailer, 1992 Dodge Ram B350 with bus conversion, 1982 Ford ClubWagon with 4x4 conversion, 1993 f150, and the little 83 ranger

not that i dislike the way this thing looks from the front, but it definitely has a sweet looking back end as well

so yeah, i'll try and figure out a way to get some videos off of instagram and upload them to youtube so that i can imbed them in here? i think? i'll see what i can work out.

- corey

Last edited:

CoreyTilton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo

prymetime1

Reaction score
Damn guys, I don't know how I missed all your updates, I guess my app doesn't work well but holy hell, ur progress on getting this swap done is insane! Truck looks n sounds meeeaaannnn. I really dig it. Alot of the pics are not showing up but the vids work and [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji469] [emoji469] [emoji469] [emoji482]. The zoomie exhaust out the back looks cool as all hell. Next up is a burnout vid please :)

CoreyTilton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Damn guys, I don't know how I missed all your updates, I guess my app doesn't work well but holy hell, ur progress on getting this swap done is insane! Truck looks n sounds meeeaaannnn. I really dig it. Alot of the pics are not showing up but the vids work and [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji469] [emoji469] [emoji469] [emoji482]. The zoomie exhaust out the back looks cool as all hell. Next up is a burnout vid please :)
thanks man.
and hmmm, weird. it looks like they are all showing up and the links are all good. hmmm. oh well i guess.

and thank you. it was a, - always wanted to put zoomie style side pipes on something - , might as well be on the most impractical vehicle we own.

and i still need to break in the engine and clutch. at this point i only have about 80 miles on them, so i'm trying to go easy on everything. i have the rev limiter set down at 5,000 rpms, and im trying to be easy going letting the clutch in and out. i already can feel the tranny is unhappy with the almost doubling of HP im giving it now, so i'm trying to be gentle on that for a while longer too.

i actually recently sprung a leak from the tailshaft bushing on the tranny, which had the truck incapacitated for a bit while i got the parts and found someone with a tailshaft bushing removal tool, and then once i got it back on the road the master cylinder for the hydraulic clutch decided to break in half on me. casing spit almost right down the middle. :( so it was off the road for a bit again while i was finding the correct replacement parts, bleeding lines, installing stuff, adjusting slave cylinder throw, removing stuff, trying to get preload and throw out and pedal travel right.
i've had the hydraulic clutch setup on and off the truck 5 times now since the engine swap. so close. so close.

i'll be uploading some driving videos soon probably.

prymetime1

Reaction score
thanks man.
and hmmm, weird. it looks like they are all showing up and the links are all good. hmmm. oh well i guess.

and thank you. it was a, - always wanted to put zoomie style side pipes on something - , might as well be on the most impractical vehicle we own.

and i still need to break in the engine and clutch. at this point i only have about 80 miles on them, so i'm trying to go easy on everything. i have the rev limiter set down at 5,000 rpms, and im trying to be easy going letting the clutch in and out. i already can feel the tranny is unhappy with the almost doubling of HP im giving it now, so i'm trying to be gentle on that for a while longer too.

i actually recently sprung a leak from the tailshaft bushing on the tranny, which had the truck incapacitated for a bit while i got the parts and found someone with a tailshaft bushing removal tool, and then once i got it back on the road the master cylinder for the hydraulic clutch decided to break in half on me. casing spit almost right down the middle. :( so it was off the road for a bit again while i was finding the correct replacement parts, bleeding lines, installing stuff, adjusting slave cylinder throw, removing stuff, trying to get preload and throw out and pedal travel right.
i've had the hydraulic clutch setup on and off the truck 5 times now since the engine swap. so close. so close.

i'll be uploading some driving videos soon probably.
Hey bud, I Def feel your pain on getting things sorted out with these builds. My motor took a dive and I've had it rebuilt, along with my transmission, 2x. Ish has been in n out too many times for my liking but I guess it's just a live n learn dealio. I have to break my engine in also but I'm chasing a leak from my head bolt that right now is just a pita and holding me up from putting miles on it....hopefully I get it sealed up today. Looking fwd to the updates.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Looking great!!!

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

CoreyTilton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Sounds good! I like the mad max exhaust coming up the side. "It's the last of the V-8 Interceptors!".

Now you just need a "Maintain Right" decal on the fender:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mad-Max-MFP-MAIN-FORCE-DECAL-STICKER-MAINTAIN-RIGHT-SINGLE-/142461364675?hash=item212b5be9c3

And some good photos for us to admire it where the whole truck is in the photo and not a lot of stuff in the background.
yesss!!!
yeah the whole thing has been very mad max inspired overall. i have a few things referencing the newer fury road movie like the skeleton arm and the license plates and i recently acquired this little bobble head for the dash.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EZg4LN-pgE

ive actually been in talks for a bit with an aluminum fabricator about a custom Scott Injector Hat looking scoop to have sticking through the hood, similar to the original interceptor, of course minus the weiand and the scott injector hat setup.

and yeah
along with some driving videos i need to take this somewhere empty to snap some pictures. wish i could drag it out on the beach like i did with my van, but i don't think it'd make it out there. :/

but yeah, thanks everyone for all the words of encouragement.
it's been 2 years today since we trailered the truck home, and now it's been about a month since we've had it on the road. lots of losses and victories along the way, but in the end, totally worth everything.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yesss!!! yeah
along with some driving videos i need to take this somewhere empty to snap some pictures. wish i could drag it out on the beach like i did with my van, but i don't think it'd make it out there. :/
That is an awesome shot. :icon_thumby:

CoreyTilton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
That is an awesome shot. :icon_thumby:
thanks!
that was one of a few i took for a calendar it's supposed to be in of all 3rd Gen econolines.

i kinda wanted to go for that, late 70s, early 80s ford magazine ad look, where the car/van/truck is always on the beach in the sunset.
i have a few overhead-ish shots that are pretty spot on. all it needs are the bathing suited teenagers with surfboards walking into the water. hahaha

Brian Ferguson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I may have missed it in reading this whole thread in a day, but what kind of steering column did you use? Awesome build by the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoreyTilton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I may have missed it in reading this whole thread in a day, but what kind of steering column did you use? Awesome build by the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is like, 2 pictures and a quick little blurb back on page 3. It's the stock steering column, just without any of the plastic trim on it. I took a cut off wheel and grinder to where the key lock and stuff was on the column/ housing, painted the column/housing wrinkle black, replaced all the bearings, lubed the hell out of it, and trimmed about 3" off the shaft itself before welding a nut on for the quick release steering wheel. Looking back I wish I had taken more like 5 or 6" off the shaft. The quick release part of the steering wheel sticks out about an inch and a half, plus the steering wheel I've been using most is actually pretty deep set, so the wheel is kinda more in my face than I'd like it to be. But for now, it's getting the job done. Maybe I'll take it back out again some day and try to shorten it more without ruining it.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Nice....not sure how I missed this one...great work on the build~

CoreyTilton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Nice....not sure how I missed this one...great work on the build~
thanks man. really appreciate it.
currently 400 miles into breaking in the engine and having a BLAST tearing around town in this thing.

i do think im going to have to do a tranny swap in the spring or early summer though, as the old original 80s tremec seems to not be long for this world.

the synchros for 1st are completely gone, so i can't shift down into first unless i come to a complete stop and make sure i go 2 to 1.
3rd has started giving me a hard time getting in from 2nd at higher rpms.
and 2nd has actually popped out of gear on me a couple of times now.

oh well.

also, its started snowing here in Massachusetts. which is throwing a kink in my finishing the break in processes.
this thing has a hard enough time not breaking loose the tires when the street is dry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABmmA6iCZwA&list=PLgfRy7On_GvTB6rGX5tHMpnQ25DNvPyxE&index=6

CoreyTilton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
So Massachusetts has been pretty damn fridged since i posted last in December.
I've been working on reupholstering the 70s Mustangii Ghia seats that i have.
i ordered new vinyl TMI kits through CJPony Parts, and it was not quite as easy of a project as i thought it was going to be.

spent a good amount of time watching Richard Attenborough's GHANDI while trying to stretch fresh vinyl.

new vs old

i also spent an evening and made this fun Fury Road inspired steering wheel for the truck
pops right on like the chrome and black one i normally drive with

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals