• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear Wheel Cylinder

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have a leak at my left rear wheel cylinder (I think it's there, I'm losing brake fluid, and the inside of my left rear wheel has been noted wet when the roads have been dry). I don't have the skill to be able to do the work, so I'm planning to ask a friend to do the work for me, and I'll buy the parts.

The question is..... What parts do I need?

Dangerrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 04
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 s
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Do it right the first time !!!!!!!!!!
You'll need to buy wheel cylinders and new brake shoes , also check the drums for wear . Do both sides to do the job the right way . Remanufactured wheel cylinders are cheap or you can rebuild if you have the proper hone for the cylinders ,oh yes buy new spring kits for the brake assembly also . It's not hard , do one side at a time and look at the opposite side if you get confused. Don't forget brake fluid. Nuff said !!!!!

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
the worst of it will be the rusted brake line that will break off. be prepared to replace some of the line on the axle.
other than that, the wheel cylinder of course. a bleeder if the new cylinder doesn't come with one. probably the shoes if they are soaked in fluid. hardware kits (springs & clips) are cheap, maybe do that while you're in there.

edit: I should learn how to type faster

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Measure your drum before ordering parts. Some have 9" drums and some have 10". The parts are different. I ordered all 9" parts for mine before I learned that. Now I have the stuff to sell on Craigslist because I didn't get it back to Rock Auto on time. Rock Auto is your friend for these parts. Price is great.

Eric B

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So essentially I need to replace everything at the rear wheel, on both sides, except maybe the brake lines? Rats, I was hoping for just replacing the one rear wheel cylinder and being done with it.

Dangerrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 04
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 s
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Do it right the first time !!!!!!!!!!
So essentially I need to replace everything at the rear wheel, on both sides, except maybe the brake lines? Rats, I was hoping for just replacing the one rear wheel cylinder and being done with it.
I would fix everything now because the other parts and the other side will probably fail very soon . Your life and the lives of others are in your hands by short cutting on brake repair.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I was thinking about that after I'd posted. It makes sense. If I'm getting somebody to go in there to replace the wheel cylinder, I may as well replace the shoes and drums. Since if I'm doing the left side I have to do the right side too, I may as well replace the cylinder on that side.

Fortunately, as long as I keep the brake fluid topped up, I still have brakes. I've been driving it like this since I bought it. I know, I need to get it fixed, if I can.....

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Put a little of your favourite penetrating fluid on the brake line to wheel cylinder now, and when you get around to making the change, you might get away without damaging the lines. That and a good line wrench (not just an open end wrench and you might be OK).

Cylinders usually leak into the drum; so while you are keeping some brakes, the shoes are being soaked in fluid, so not doing the job they could. You are also making a mess when it does come time to do the repair.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals