• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1990 2.3 single cab to newer model swap

Akurtz39

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello all. I’m new to the forum. I have a 1990 single cab 2.3 fuel injected with less than 150xxx miles on it. Very strong motor and trans. But my floor panels are almost all the way rusted out and the body just isn’t in good shape. My question is up to what year can I take my motor and trans and put it in newer year truck? And can I take out a v6 and put in my 2.3?
Also can I bump up to a extended cab? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

You would have a 2.5l SOHC Lima engine in a 1999 Ranger, last year of 2.3l SOHC Lima was 1997
2.5l SOHC Lima was used from 1998 to mid 2001 in Rangers then replaced by the 2.3l DOHC Duratec 4cyl engine.
2.5l lima was a stroked 2.3l lima so same engine except for different crank shaft and longer connecting rods

1998 Rangers got the new Returnless fuel system, so you would want 1998 and up.
I think 2003 was last year of analog dash, so you would need that

Engine swap requires its computer and wiring harness also transmission if automatic, so your not just swapping the engine, unless it's exactly the same engine.
Also need exhaust and radiator
4cyl has a cross brace in engine bay for drivers side motor mount, which V6s didn't need, so you have to add that.

You might be better off swapping body parts, whole cab, or just fixing the floor panels if the rest of the body is OK.
If drive train is currently working well, and just the "eye candy"(body) is the problem then change the eye candy

Extended cab just had longer rear drive shaft, but also weighed more, so maybe not the best choice for 4cyl engine swap, but yes you could do that

EDIT:
I see you also have 1990 in title, so maybe not a 1999?
The above still applies as far as the swap, engine, trans, wiring harness and computer needs to be swapped over
1994 and earlier would be best choices for engine swap, 1997 and earlier for body parts only

Last edited:

Akurtz39

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello Ron! Thanks for the reply! Yes it’s is a 1990 sorry for the typo it’s fixed now! So a 1994 a older should be able to swap no problem? Just the harness and ecm? Also it’s manual trans so that shouldn’t be an issue.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, '94 would be the most compatible. Depending on when your '90 was made it will or won't have a mass airflow sensor as that was a mid year change which stayed fairly similar to '94. In those years they moved the coils around some, and the front accessories some but that was it, in '94 for California models was the first year for a cam position sensor and was the first year of the EGR flow sensor. But as said, a lot of the parts will work through a '01 2.5L...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals