• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Using oil

cdotson86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hello,
I have about 100k miles on my 3.0 and I'm starting to use about 3/4 quart of oil between oil changes. Is that the norm? I hear these are indistructable motors. Thanks!

bigcountry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i kno yota motors are different but my old 1990 yota with the 3.0L had 265k and it was normal for me to burn about a quart or so every 3k miles well thats what the stealership told me

cdotson86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks! Does anyone with the 3.0 use oil like this?

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Maybe it has a leak? I know I have a pretty serious valve cover gasket leak and it'll leak almost a quart every 1000 miles...

Rat City Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had an older Yota as well, it had a 2.4 in it and would burn a quart every 3k or so, not a leak anywhere, I don't currently have this prob with my 3.0, but I wouldn't be suprised when I get over 100k.

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
It's normal in most cases for a car/truck to use about a qt of oil between oil changes. If you want? Park the truck over a large chunk of cardboard and let it sit overnight. Check for oil spots the next morning to see if there is a leak.

Otherwise if no leak is found, and you're not puffing blue smoke out the tail pipe? I wouldn't worry about it much. My last company van was an 07 Sprinter with the turbo diesel. Started up after each oil change with 13.5 qts of Mobil-1 0w30..About at the 5-6000 mark? I had to add about two qts of the same oil. Dealership also mentioned it's normal, (heck, going 10,000 miles between changes? I'd expect some of the oil to go somewhere into the ozone LOL)

S-

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It's normal in most cases for a car/truck to use about a qt of oil between oil changes. If you want? Park the truck over a large chunk of cardboard and let it sit overnight. Check for oil spots the next morning to see if there is a leak.

Otherwise if no leak is found, and you're not puffing blue smoke out the tail pipe? I wouldn't worry about it much. My last company van was an 07 Sprinter with the turbo diesel. Started up after each oil change with 13.5 qts of Mobil-1 0w30..About at the 5-6000 mark? I had to add about two qts of the same oil. Dealership also mentioned it's normal, (heck, going 10,000 miles between changes? I'd expect some of the oil to go somewhere into the ozone LOL)

S-

I wouldn't say it's normal for an engine to use oil... None of my vehicles use oil (don't know about my Explorer it leaks oil)...

bigcountry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
all engines burn and or use oil some just have had rough lives from getting ragged out and dogged so they need more oil to run properly its just how they are and just how they are going to be. so to say that none of your vehicles use oil is weird cause my last ford and my current one still use oil if they didnt i would be in good shape to not have to worry about having to replace and or top off every now and then haha im just giving you a hard time beanmachine i understand what your talkin bout. but still from what ive been told by the yota stealership and a couple of shops when you get some many miles on a motor rings and seals dry out so the oil that you have to add between changes goes to them to keep your truck from breaking down

TomB1269

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2005, & 2
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Size
3.0L/4.2L/5.4L3V
Transmission
Automatic
I have an 02 with the 3.0, when I changed or now have it changed I have it filled with 5qts even though the books say 4.5, as I have found that if not shortly after change it looks a 1/4 to 1/2 quart low. My opion in is that the filter or something absorbs a small fraction and heat cooks a antoher small amount, IE I check the oil after 500 or 1500 regardless it drops a small amount and remains there. No leaks, no smoke.........??

bigcountry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
your seals will asorb a small amount for they are rubber and if they didnt they would dry up into a chunk of nothing and oil would leak all over your drive way im not to sure that oil filters would asorb enough for you to notice unless there was a way to check and the books say 4.5 cause that is empty like to oil in the lines or left over in the motor but that what im thinkin on that

GMWIGGS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 & 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My 3.0 has 181,000 miles on it and I burn about 1/8 of a quart every 3000 miles. Sometimes its not even noticeable.

dorman68

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My truck has 112,000 and uses about 1 quart of oil every 2500 miles.

SixFoFalcon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
You shouldn't be burning/leaking any noticable amount of oil, regardless of the miles on the engine. I've put over 200k miles on a Vulcan and it didn't consume any oil between changes.

Find out where the oil is going. Any oil spots on the driveway/garage floor? Oil residue around the edges of the valve covers? Smoke coming out the tailpipe at startup? How do the plugs look?

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
it's not a big deal, my old 3.0 was losing a quart every 600 miles for about 80k miles. it never gave me a problem. I'm not saying that was good, but the motor never skipped a beat and is still on the road for all i know. i've never seen a motor that didn't lose a single drop in the course of an oil change.

shaffer20

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
run a can of seafoam through the truck. you might be losing a small amount through gummed up piston rings to the combustion chamber. everyone else is right to you will have the rubber seals soaking up some oil. your not losing much at all. but seafoam will clean out the engine and get you a lil more mileage.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals