• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacing 1998 fender

atikovi

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Am I correct that only 1998-2003 will fit? And any tips to pull one from the junkyard? Do the bumper and front light need to be off? Wheel liner too?

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Any 98 and newer fender should fit. Everything has to come off. The bolt near the base of the a pillar is a real treat.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
stmitch: Can you go beyond 2000? I know the grill/headlights/etc was all completely different on my niece's 2001 (and then it stayed that way through the end). I have always stuck to '98-'00.

Atikovi: Bumper doesn't need to come off, but I suspect you will want it off (resetting the wrench every 1/6 turn results in it taking forever to remove the bottom front corner bolt). And pulling the bumper makes it MUCH easier to pull/reinstall the headlamp and it is just 4 bolts.

I never have any issues with the "a" pillar bolt (I am assuming you are referring to the one at the very bottom of the fender, just behind the wheel which will be rusted in place for 15+ years). But, I cut the body in the junkyard with a sawzall to remove (grinders aren't allowed in yards I visit), take a grinder to the bolt in my truck and replace the bolt and body nut when I install the new fender. :)

atikovi

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Got a fender off a 2001 today. Didn't bother with removing the bumper. Took a half hour to remove.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The only difference between fenders after 98 is whether they have holes for flares or not, and the size of the flares. The grilles, lights, and hoods should all be interchangeable as long as you're using the appropriate header panel. Newer front end swaps are an easy, bolt on upgrade for 98+ trucks.

My mistake on the a pillar bolt. I was getting it confused with another vehicle. Guess I'm getting to the point where they start to blend together as the years pass.

Last edited:

atikovi

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Is Ford still using 5.5mm head screws these days? I forgot that socket when I went to the junkyard and had to use vice grips instead for many screws. ARRGH!

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
yep. 7/32 will work, only about .002 difference.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals