Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Old 12-04-2017, 01:10 PM   #1
drmayf

Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger Splash
I use this vehicle for: Shop run around truck
My credo: Happy life? Happy wife!
drmayf is on a distinguished road
Default 1997 3.0L Timing cover Gasket Recommendation

Well, only received one real reply regards oil in coolant water but took it to heart. Have removed the water pump and have seen the sorry state of the gasket there. Timing cover is next, but I need recommendation on what gasket and crank seal kit to purchase. I want this to be a good one and better than OEM quality as those seem to be not very good. Is there one with a rubber component to the flat gasket? The paper ones seem to disintegrate over time.

ok to send email directly to me as I am anxiously awaiting a reply. I want this truck back on the road...

many thanks!
drmayf
drmayf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Premium Member.

5% Rock Auto Discount Code: 20B2FF503DCF74 Expires: September 28, 2018
Old 12-04-2017, 04:55 PM   #2
delaware74b

Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle Model: Ranger 4x2 XLT 291,000 miles
delaware74b is on a distinguished road

I used the Napa new water pump, timing cover set and 3-piece timing chain kit. The timing chain kit was only 1 additional bolt (cam gear) and I was there already. ($40 more). I did have some stretch in the original chain. Cheap insurance. This engine is noninterference so no big deal if it breaks or jumps a tooth.

I used the gray permatex make-a-gasket rtv sealant on both side of all gaskets. BTW, the timing cover gasket was bad on the passenger side on the engine. The water pump looked brand new with -only- 200K on it. I wasn't going to risk not replacing it since I had gone through the battle of tearing down the front of the engine. I was able to re-use the front part of the original oil pan gasket.

Change the oil before starting the engine. You -will- get antifreeze in the oil pan no matter how hard you try. I had about a quart of coolant in the pan when I drained the oil.
delaware74b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:45 AM   #3
drmayf

Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: Ranger Splash
I use this vehicle for: Shop run around truck
My credo: Happy life? Happy wife!
drmayf is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the quick reply! I will grab some of the Permatex "make a gasket" goo to wipe on the gaskets. Was not sure that this was acceptable but sounds like that is a great suggestion. What did you think of the NAPA gasket set itself? Were the gaskets like OEM or better? OEM stuff seems awful as all the gaskets I have touched so far have literally fallen apart: flaky delaminated paper things. Good thought on the timing chain and yes, only one bolt away from replacement almost makes it a no brainer. I have owned this truck since new and it still only has 84000 miles on it. And for sure since I am within a month of being 76 years old, I do not want to do this twice, lol. How can anything with as big as engine compartment as a Ranger be so freaking difficult to disassemble? I had oil in my coolant as the reason to take all this apart but no water in oil, go figure. Flushed and drained 4 times with commercial flush materials and then a couple more time with Power Clean purple soap. But as you say, oil & filter change before restart.

Many thanks again for the reply. Will get started on this today: just have the cover bolts to remove now. Water pump is off already.

mayf
drmayf is offline   Reply With Quote