• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'89 Bronco II build

JOSEPH169

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I bought my Bronco II Eddie Bauer Edition about a year ago I've got a winch bumper I traded my PS3 for since I used my roommates Xbox. I then scored some brand new Superlift drop brackets on craigslist for $80 but the bracket to drop the driver side beam was missing. Called Superlift and got the bracket, I welded up some gussets on the bracket to make sure the tabs won't break. Now That tax returns comes this week I'm buying some BDS 6" coils and 6" lift shocks along with a drop pitman arm, and I will be going to the junkyard to get 4 door explorer leafs.

List of mods so far:

Front:
BDS 6" TTB coils
Bronco Graveyard 6" lift shocks
90 F-350 front brake lines
Superlift Superunner steering 1ton rod end mod with custom idler
Superlift Drop brackets reinforced
Bronco graveyard drop pitman arm
RLC fab Winch Bumper
Smittybilt d-rings

Rear:
Belltech 6400 shackles
3" lift block

Interior:
Explorer black instrument bezel
Rear hatch area herculined

Future Mods:
D35 TTB
Explorer 8.8 w/ Disc brakes
5.13 gears with locker
Smittybilt Winch
Dual Battery setup
Smittybilt jeep center console
New Front Seats
New rear seat
35x12.5r15 BFG Mudd terrain km2
RLC rear bumper
Fender flares
EFI 302 v8 swap with AOD Trans

Last edited:

JOSEPH169

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Tax return just cam in so I ordered some 6" lift coils, shocks and drop pitman arm from Bronco Graveyard. I'm gonna need to find a drop shackle for the rear as well.

JOSEPH169

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got my shackles in today.

Now I need to go to the Junkyard to get some Explorer leafs.

JOSEPH169

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The Superlift bracket kit i got from cl for $80 that was missing one bracket that I got new from Superlift for $60. It's brand new with all the hardware still in the packaging.

Here's the reinforced passenger mounted drop bracket, welds aren't pretty but hold.

JOSEPH169

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just got my BDS 6" coils rated at 410 ppi if they're to stiff for me than I'll look into some other springs, drop pitman arm, and 6" lift shocks today from Bronco Graveyard. One problem with the shocks is see is that when i fully extend them they don't want to collapse at all, they're oil filled and I email Bronco Graveyard about this issue and he said it's normal for the shocks to do this since they only provide resistance to dampen, we'll see.. Hopefully I can get some time this weekend to install everything.

Last edited:

JOSEPH169

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So the lift is installed just need to get the longer driveshaft from an early explorer installed and align it, Plus I need new tires asap since it looks ridiculous with the 235/75r15 that are on it right now, a guy a work said he might have a set of 33x12.5r15 that I could have for free if he can find them..

1RangerNut

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Cool keep us updated I'd like to see how those coils flex. Since they are the softest RBV coils you can buy.

JOSEPH169

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just got the front driveshaft from a 91 explorer to use as an extended driveshaft for the rear, I found that the rear shaft from my bronco ii driveshaft uses the same u-joint as the explorer shaft so I just used the flange adaptor for the pinion on the explorer shaft and works nicely. I also removed the boot and packed the splines with more grease since I had the shaft off.

Now I just got to install the 1354 front yoke to the rear output of my transfer case and bolt it up now.

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Looks like a good start, and you are doing all the right things as well.

JOSEPH169

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hopefully I can get time to align it at work and then drive it.

racer1044

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have the JBG shocks on my truck had them on since this summer. They are decent for a "budget" lift shock.

JOSEPH169

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have the JBG shocks on my truck had them on since this summer. They are decent for a "budget" lift shock.
I hope so, they don't seem too bad, alot better than the old ones on my truck since they were shot.

JOSEPH169

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Was able to work on it tonight after work and ran into a problem with the driveshaft for the rear. It is too long with the flange from the 1354 and the stock flange from my existing driveshaft. I ended up just putting the old driveshaft on for now but at full droop you can see the splines on the driveshaft, I probably gonna take the driveshaft into the driveline shop and have it shortened, I now need to figure out some longer sway bar end links for the front and put some adjustment sleeves in, I was able to set the toe at least but when turning sharply seems sketchy but I didn't get much more test driving since my ride was waiting for me and fixing her Jeep took all of 5 mins. I also had to use the 5.5 inch holes instead of the 4 inch holes on my superlift brackets because the camber was way off with my 6 inch springs, Any input on some items will be accepted since I'm trying to get this back on the road asap so I can go camping this coming weekend.

JOSEPH169

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Finally test drove it today after my initial toe alignment since I needed to see what my caster and camber were at. Really does need some 2 degree bushings on both sides after I saw my 1st alignment but I wanted to drive it a home to help settle the suspension more then tomorrow I'll check the alignment again. It looks really goofy with the 235/75r15 tires on but my 32's should be on next week.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals