• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Odometer not working, but trip meter does

s-petersen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Odometer not working, but trip meter does ,needle placement

My odometer was not working, but the trip meter was, on my 1998 Ranger
I thought it was the common gear trouble, but it turned out to be the last wheel that has the ratchet.The the wheel slid on the shaft and disengaged the ratchet.I'm not sure how it happened as the wheel is a good fit,and is not split or anything. It is working now

There are several ways to get the needle reinstalled properly.
1. jump the needle over the stop,place the speedometer on a level surface,
take a picture there the needle comes to rest, remove the needle
to reinstall lightly install the needle on the shaft at the 7 o'clock position,
move it to the stop,release it,when it comes to rest, grab the shaft(from behind the face) with a small needle nose pliers (without moving the position of the needle)move the needle to the same position as pictured earlier, let go of the shaft.
Check by moving the needle to the stop,release and make sure the needle stops in the same place as pictured.
if it does, press the needle all the way on.

2. If the ranger is a manual,make a note of the speed and RPM in a gear(like 2nd gear 1500 RPM 15 mph etc...
With the lens off of the speedometer drive (carefully)the noted RPM place the needle on the shaft at the proper RPM.
Possibly an assistant could help. or the vehicle could be on jack stands for safety.

There is a youtube video that uses a battery,but I don't like putting voltages to unknown circuits for fear of damage.

Last edited:

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
All hail the mighty ziptie!
I'm not familiar with how electrical speedometers work, but first and foremost you need a voltmeter. I've got a cheap $20 one and it works wonders for diagnosis even if I'm pretty thick skulled when it comes to electrical issues.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals