• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

83 302 build

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Hi Josh, yep, bolted everything up and under the springs then noticed something looked wrong.... lol..... worst part was i had just dumped in the second jug of axle oil... had to drain it out then proceed to take the backing plate off and fix the screw up.

Hi BowlEEach, I only know of 1 other V8 truck (injected stang 5.0l) and it was in mission a couple years back. no idea if the guy still has it or has destroyed it as of yet. only seen him once. I never hear of many builds here either. What is in your truck? and what year is your build?

Many years ago i was able to get a 302 and C6 from a ranger conversion from Pick-a-Part car wreckers, that build had the proper mating plates for the motor mounts, I used those on placing the motor into the frame, with the original 2.8 motor mounts. went together like clock work. sold that motor a long time back, but kept the C6 for a future build. (small bell housing) is a bonus!

cheers

BowlEEac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know of one other v8 ranger currently with an injected 5.0 in it. The owner just bought it this year so maybe we are talking about the same truck.

My truck is a 1990 ext cab xlt. Its got a 302 in it I built off a 96 late model block.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
that is a sharp looking truck. (sleeper) Everything mainly stock in it? 96 block... what heads? do you have a build page on your swap?

If i remember the ranger 5.0 was a 5 speed truck, fairly young guy owned it. 25 or so. don't remember colour.

I do have a friend a couple Km's from me who bought a 91 ranger off me for 100 that is getting a 351 windsor transplant. time consuming build for him. he stripped everything out of the cab and going carb with no un-needed wires. Will be a scary ride when he gets that 1 finished. same guy that welded up the frame for extra strength on mine. he has built up a few V8 rangers in the past. getting many good tips from how to do it proper from him.

cheers

BowlEEac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Hey Bowl, nice work on that truck, one question, what happened with the viper filter to screw over the 289? did you get to the bottom of the problem? i never heard of viper, who makes those? with all that work you did (doing) to the rear suspension, is that to help with any lost traction on the rear tires? On this build I will be doing something a bit different, I will be building a large battery box to house the largest Cat 12 volt battery and placing it over the axles, plus this truck has dual tanks so i cant get another 100 pounds of fuel for good measure.

BowlEEac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I started a claim with Viper and they ccontacted me and asked for my filter back so they could do some testing on it. I didnt want to get lawyers involved or anything like that, plus I thought I was dealing with a reputable company. I sent them my filter and didn't hear anything back. hind sight I should have gotten my own tests done on the filter for proof, but I was young and dumb at the time and now have a 302 lol.

all the work on the rear suspension, and the front is to take advantage of weight transfer, and it works.
I would advise on putting the battery as far back as you can behind the rear axle and buying or building a set of cal tracs. From my old setup (stock suspension with fuel cell over the rear axle) to my current setup, I can tell you the difference is night and day. The traction bars plant the tires and the weight from the fuel cell and battery definitely aid that. Getting the front end free actually helped a lot aswell, there is definite weight transfer from the front end rising when I mash the loud pedal

Any other questions feel free to pm me. I don't want to clutter up your build thread too much.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for that info bowlee.... will be looking into some of that weight transfers and with the battery it will be a test and placement for sure.

Angie was surfing the net past couple weeks and found a new set of graphics for the truck. I have the next week off work and we are planning to redo the box, and finish the cab in the up coming week. will update as we get it repainted.

Does anyone know of a cartoon drawn ranger or S10 that we can print off and use for mock ups in the house with pencils before the actual painting and laying of the tapes?

thanks

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Probably not quite what you are looking for, but I found this somewhere years ago and saved it with the same idea.

Attachments

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
well the next leg of the paint is well under way... sanding it down and ready to start again'

Attachments

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
gone is the silver stripe and the tiny tribal flames. That old idea will be replaced with something totally different. (pictures as the work goes on. cheers

Attachments

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
this was the plan for graphics, after it was all drawn out and ready to be taped off, i changed my mind. just doesn't look right for a daily driver, and too flashy for a close to 50 yr old.

new ideas will be painted today.

cheers

Attachments

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
well this is how it sits tonight.... the top of the 2 tone is finished

Attachments

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
Not bad. I have been wanting to build a 1st gen for a while.

Sent from a phablet while avoiding doing stuff the wife wants to do.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Haven't taken the tape off yet from this morning's clear job. Here is what it looks like. Later when the tape is off I will take nicer pics of it.

thanks hoosier. definitely a work in progress

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals