• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can't Get The Timing Right

gtkid2002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've got four days to get this truck running or I lose it. Hopefully this counts as urgent.

1983 Ranger
2.3 Liter non turbo
4WD 4-speed manual trans
Ran before HG change. Currently cranks, spat fire out of intake once. Has fuel, compression, and spark.

I changed the headgasket and pulled the ECU. It ran when the headgasket was blown (did a short test run), so I know it runs.

I can't get the timing to get set right. Can someone list out how to get the timing set properly, from scratch? Going by say, the timing belt snapped and I'm putting on a new one on the side of the road or something.

I have a variety of tools at hand, and a timing gun.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. I'd prefer not to part with the truck, but it's now or never.

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
If I remember the Cam rotates twice to every one turn of the crank. You may need to remove the timing belt and rotate the the cam 360 and than reinstall your timing belt.

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If I remember the Cam rotates twice to every one turn of the crank. You may need to remove the timing belt and rotate the the cam 360 and than reinstall your timing belt.
No, the crank rotates twice for every revolution of the cam.

Rotating anything 360 degrees will just leave you in the same place you started.

I know on the 2.9's its possible to get the distributor installed 180 degrees out of phase with the cam, so that it sparks at the beginning of the exhaust stroke instead of the combustion stroke. Dunno if it's possible on a 2.3, but the solution is to re-mount the distributor or move each plug wire to the opposite terminal.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

gtkid2002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The issue I seem to be having is that there is no 'set' mark for the oil pump/dizzy gear to be set to. I know the dizzy can be moved wherever, but there's no markings or anything.

Is there any way to see if the cam is properly in time? I know the crank is easy enough to set up (I check TDC with a screwdriver).

Kunar- Thanks, I shall give this a shot after dinner tonight.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'98
'94
'98
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Engine Size
2.5, 2.3 & 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Trying to be a better Christian than non-christians.
I rebuilt a Plymouth engine once and put the distibutor out 180. It's easy to to do because sometimes the marks are for aligning the timing belt but not for dropping in the distributor.

If I really had to install a timing belt without any timing marks, no line, no triangle, no camshaft key then I would remove the valve cover and read up on when exactly the valves open in their four cycle phase.

gtkid2002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So I set the timing by the dizzy, so #1 would fire at 10 degrees BTDC. Aaand still nothing. She's getting fuel, the spark is still a bit weak, but it's there. It is a bit weaker after going through the distributor as compared to straight off the coils, but it is still there. I tested it with a timing light to make sure that it's right, and it appears to be right.

I've still got no luck to get it to fire though. Might there be a way to boost power to the coil to hotten the output a smidge?

Or suggestions on what to try next?

drsvox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
you're checking the timing with a remote starter (or someone helping)? if your #1 is firing on the exhaust stroke it will still look like the timing is right, right? (being that 10BTDC occurs twice in a complete cycle)

I'm sure you've probably already done this, but I didn't read where you had, so my guess is to hand crank to TDC, pull the distributor, pop the cover and turn the rotor 180 to see if that works.

Last edited:

gtkid2002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
your checking the timing with a remote starter (or someone helping)? if your #1 is firing on the exhaust stroke it will still look like the timing is right, right? (being that 10BTDC occurs twice in a complete cycle)

I'm sure you've probably already done this, but I didn't read where you had, so my guess is to hand crank to TDC, pop the distributor and see where the rotor is...if it's on #3, pull the distributor and turn the rotor 180...
Forgot to mention, but I did try flipping the order. I didn't turn the rotor 180 since it doesn't have the notch, instead I pulled the plugs on the end of the dizzy and rotated them 180. Still no luck, and not even a sputter. Before I switched it, it seemed like it did crank easier. The timing marks still matched up too.

Is there something I can substitute for starting fluid?

drsvox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
sorry, not sure what you could use in place of starter fluid.

you mentioned pulling the ECU...?

gtkid2002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah. I pulled the ecu. I only cut a single wire that led off of the coil. The green wire off the (+) sid of the coil. I capped off the spare vaccum lines leading off the carb. But it is getting fuel. I add some manually when i'm set to try and crank it. Should I try and set it back up, and hook that wire back up?

drsvox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
not overly familiar with the 2.3, and so trying to understand why you pulled the ECU and cut wires off the coil.

I think your timing should be close to where you need it. Timing marks are lined up; distributor rotor set to fire on #1 at TDC on the crank...you've got spark and fuel and presumably air.

Me? I would definitely back up and restore everything to what is was before you did the HG and go from there.

gtkid2002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ecu is pullable on the early 2.3L engines. There are tech articles in the ignition section on here. I have a duraspark ignition. All the ecu does is control vacuum solenoids and clutter the engine bay. Except for that one wire, as far as I can tell it doesn't interact with the ignition system.

drsvox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
ah ok duraspark...got it...so maybe just start by reconnecting the wire on the coil...?

drsvox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
looking at the wiring diagram, the green (should be green/yellow) coming off + on the coil feeds into not only the ECU, but the Idle Speed Control and Ignition Module as well...could maybe be your fix.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals