• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No power at Fuel Pump Relay Signal Wire, Injectors Not Firing

YooperSteeze

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/1994/1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0/4.0/4.0
Transmission
Automatic
As the title says, I'm not getting enough power to the fuel pump relay and the injectors aren't firing. With a multimeter probe in the red signal wire terminal and the other on good ground, I read 2.3 volts when I turn the key on. Followed both signal wires to the ECM, no nicks or breaks in the insulation or anything. Full power to the wire for the pump, if I jump it the pump runs, but the truck won't. Get pressure to the schrader on the rail when the relay is jumped so I'm assuming the injectors aren't firing. No noid light to test it but seems fair to assume. Basically I'm at a loss, I hate electrical issues like this. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Also, tried a different ECM and no change.

huh?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
try pulling the wiring connector off the ecm. check for continuity between the battery ground cable clamp(since the neg battery cable will have been disconnected, please, so no burny-outy ecm like me) and pin numbers 20, 40, and 60 on the connector. it may be that the ground(s) for the ecm became disconnected or severed.

iirc, when i was trying to get my truck going the fuel pump relay wouldn't activate till the key was inbetween the RUN and START position(the fuel pumps would activate for the normal 2 or so seconds if i slowly turned the key to START and as i slowly let the key back to run). i read something in these forums at that time about circuits "scavanging" a ground and i think thats what happened at that point of rotation of my ignition switch. maybe i missunderstood the posters meaning but after i finally found that pin numbers 20, 40, and 60 on my connector had no continuity to the battery ground i snipped all three and ran a thicker wire joining all to the neg cable clamp. first click of key to run after that had pumps priming. turn a little more forward and truck started right up.

so, yeah............ told myself i wouldn't do the two-finger blah, blah, blah, but i did. got some practice in on the run-ons, too. hah!

to digest the above:

the ecm controls engine functions such as fuel pump relay and injector pulses by providing a ground for those ciruits. if the ecm has no access to ground via pin numbers 20, 40, and/or 60(and pin 16 is listed as ign-gnd on my printout of "TRUCK COMPUTER PIN OUTS" from fordfuelinjection.com) then those systems will mal- or not function. [/blah]

p.s. if you knew above info already or if i seem to be over explaining, there was no intent to insult your or anyones intelligence. sometimes i start posting with no exit strategy

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
You should have battery power at the fuel pump relay full time key on or off. The computer provides ground to the coil to close the contacts

Ranger302Boss

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Looks like a bad pick up coil or crankshaft posición sensor. If the ECM dont know the engine is rotating, never give the order to fuel pump and inyectors.

Enviado desde mi XT1053 mediante Tapatalk

Ranger302Boss

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Finaly works?

Send from my Moto X using Tapatalk

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
What made it work? :dunno:

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Make sure the EEC relay is good. If the EEC relay is bad, the EEC won't turn on. If the EEC won't turn on, the fuel pump relay won't get grounded and won't turn on. You also need to make sure the fuel pump relay is good. If either one is bad, it will produce the same no-start symptoms.

I had this problem with my Explorer. It was a bitch to diagnose, but turned out to be a super cheap and easy fix.

Last edited:

YooperSteeze

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/1994/1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0/4.0/4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Still not running. Checked the grounds on the ECM, all good. Not crank sensor, as it doesn't even kick the pump on to prime it. If it were crank sensor it would still run for a few seconds when the key is on, but wouldn't fire. ECM relay clicks, so I'm assuming its good. Even so, I'm only getting 2.5 volts to the fuel pump relay signal wire when I should be getting 12 with the key on. I'm stumped.

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just because the ECC relay clicks, doesn't mean it's good. The contacts inside could be fried. The output of that ECC relay is the 12v input to the coil of the fuel pump relay (the computer turns it on and off by switching the ground).

So, you should check the output of the ECC relay, and the input, and if the input is 12v and the output is not, then replace the ECC relay. If the input to the ECC relay is 2.5v, then you need to chase wires and find out why.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Turn the key to Run, does the Check Engine Light come on?

If not, the ECM relay isn't working.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Just swap the EEC relay with the A/C relay or ABS relay and see what happens (don't swap it with the fuel pump relay, because like I said before, if either the EEC relay OR the fuel pump relay is bad, you'll get the same no-start symptoms)

freedom5

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Have you checked the inertia cut off?

bigdan002001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
^^^He beat me to it....I had a simlar problem in my 86. I just unpluged the intertia switch wire from the bottom and used a paper clip to shove into both terminals which will complete the circuit until I could get home and replace the switch.

Dan

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals