• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

leaking oil, still pushing coolant out,what to do next?

1993rangerxl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 banger 2.3L
Transmission
Manual
'93 ranger, 2.3L 5spd.
2nd reman head in a year and a half.
New gaskets, head bolts. All together cranked right up (I posted about no timing marks) sounds great runs great, 7miles and temp gauge is 3/4 to hot ( has always ran cold below half way) oil pressure a little higher than usual but not much. Home again and is boiling underhood and still pushing out overflow bottle onto ground. Could really use some help here!

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
'93 ranger, 2.3L 5spd.
2nd reman head in a year and a half.
New gaskets, head bolts. All together cranked right up (I posted about no timing marks) sounds great runs great, 7miles and temp gauge is 3/4 to hot ( has always ran cold below half way) oil pressure a little higher than usual but not much. Home again and is boiling underhood and still pushing out overflow bottle onto ground. Could really use some help here!
one thing to check for is the bottom radiator hose, as they get older ive seen the bottom hose will sometimes close when on the throttle and then no water gets through. have a friend rev it up while you watch the bottom hose.

changed the thermostat i assume?

have you had the radiator checked? mine was full of mud so it couldnt get air thru it to cool down.

no leaks in the cooling system?

engine fan is good?

1993rangerxl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 banger 2.3L
Transmission
Manual
New stat (mechanic left old one out so it had none) 192degree.only leak is from a too full overflow bottle. Rad does not seem to be clogged flo seems good, fan is good about a year old.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Yah. Swynx is onto something. Buy a backflush kit with a tee that goes into a heater hose. You have age related troubles. If the cap is bad, the system will boil around 212 or bit more. That is comfortable engine temp these days. A good cap is the cheapest component of the cooling system. That is where I would start. The cheap easy stuff. Get yourself a gallon of cheap antifreeze and a gallon jug and carry both the gallons. Maybe some water. If it leaks oil get a jug of 5w30 . Some guys use distilled water, I use well water. Plain water is fine as long you keep after it and don't let it freeze. Also a vacuum /intake leak may be leaning the mixture and that will make it run hot.

This is general advice, I wouldn't know the 2.3 if I fell over it. :D

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
How is the water pump?

1993rangerxl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 banger 2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Fixed oil leak with a dab of sealant on cam sprocket bolt. So far coolant issue seems to have been air trapped in motor. Time will tell as I drive it. Keeping close eye on temp gauge and coolant level underhood. Thanks all for the input.

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
There was no thermostat, and you installed one.

I've never done any work on a 2.3. It is not unheard of for Ford to change thermostat location (mid-85 2.8). Is there a chance you now have two thermostats installed? How was the temperature before you installed the new thermostat?

1993rangerxl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 banger 2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I guess it was trapped air inside motor (never had that happen before!). Have driven over 300 miles and temp gauge is back down to "normal" readings.stopped pushing out coolant and all. Will be taking a 600+ mile trip tomorrow.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals