• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'94 2.3L - One Coil Pack Not Getting Power

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
SOHC 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
LT265/75/R16
Hey guys - my problem is back. My '94 Ranger that I picked up cheap to fix and sell has given me a problem I can't identify. The truck will be running fine, then all of a sudden - no power, almost stalls. Then just like that, it'll run fine. I discovered that one of the coil packs is not producing spark, so the truck starts running like crap. Both coils are good. Obviously a spark issue. Help guys, I need to sell this truck!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
When it acts up, take the ignition module to autozone or something and have it checked, it's about the only other part of the ignition system

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
Just an FYI, one pack doesn't spark when you're trying to start it, so if you found a pack had no spark with the truck not running, it's normal.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hey guys - my problem is back. My '94 Ranger that I picked up cheap to fix and sell has given me a problem I can't identify. The truck will be running fine, then all of a sudden - no power, almost stalls. Then just like that, it'll run fine. I discovered that one of the coil packs is not producing spark, so the truck starts running like crap. Both coils are good. Obviously a spark issue. Help guys, I need to sell this truck!
When it acts up, take the ignition module to autozone or something and have it checked, it's about the only other part of the ignition system
Just an FYI, one pack doesn't spark when you're trying to start it, so if you found a pack had no spark with the truck not running, it's normal.
Bryon had a nice observation about the exhaust side not always firing........my guess is the primary coil is the one that is not receiving the power and I agree that it is most likely the ICM

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Bryon had a nice observation about the exhaust side not always firing........my guess is the primary coil is the one that is not receiving the power and I agree that it is most likely the ICM
the intake side is secondary, I'm running my truck only on the exhaust side with the 4 plug turbo engine with DIS

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals