• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4ld all gears trouble out of neutral @cold

Lostfaith

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My transmission has trouble getting out of neutral when it is cold and just fired up. When the car is warm after a couple of minutes driving, it stops doing it.
I'll put it into gear and it's like it slips out to neutral. Revving it will get it to kick (hard) into gear again when it's cold.

If I take a significant corner or hit a roadbump it also falls back to neutral and I'll have to rev to get it out.

after riding usually it starts behaving fully normal and it does not slip, so the only thing is when cold it just goes to neutral from all gears incl reverse.

I did notice a lot of very tiny bubbles at startup when I checked the trans oil fluid level which is just a tiny bit over recommended.

I recently changed the transmission oilfilter and part of the oil, it was doing it before but got slightly worse. have a new vacuum modulator, boostvalve, shiftkit and upper&lower valvebody separator set gaskets that I can install next time.

planning on taking off the trans oilpan, filter, possibly install the new separator plates&boostvalve, tighten the screws up and install the vacuum modulator.

I think this may have to do with the trans-oilfluid pressure..
what do you guys think?

(just did 76.000miles on the car, yes it drove very little for a 1994)

Last edited:

Lostfaith

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Forgot to mention, transfluis is very slightly brown pinkish (not full red as when new, but also not fully brown or dark). there was no metal in it when I changed it at filter change, some thin layer of darker sludge was in the bottom of the pan tho

Lostfaith

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Filled in 1.3rd of a quart extra and the issues are notably less.. however I might have it a tiny bit above max fluid level in the tranny now according to general measuring guidelines.

looks like no one has seen this particular issue?

anyone maybe with a tip on how to quick and easy check the correct fluid level? (usually check with engine hot and in park/idle but my readings might not be accurate possibly and could be under filled I guess)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals