• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Swap dash cluster from 87 BRONCO ii to 88

Riehlsasy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi all hope someone can answer this question for me. I recently purchased an 88 Bronco ii XL MANUAL 4x4. I was hoping to find an XLT package but I just couldn't pass this truck up. Good news is I have an 87 AUTOMATIC 4x4 with same color XLT package that I basically bought to restore, but mainly because the interior was mint condition and I figured I could use it on another truck if I found one. Since that is now the situation, I have begun to remove the seats, exterior mirrors, and the nice fabric door panels to put on my 88 as the XL package didn't have all the plush finishings. What I realized is that my 88 does not have the nice dash cluster like my 87 with the tachometer and such. I did have another 88 Bronco ii years ago and it was an XLT package and it had the nice dash cluster like my 87 does. CAN I TAKE THE CLUSTER OUT OF MY 87 AND PUT IN MY 88? WILL IT MATTER THAT MY 87 IS AN AUTOMATIC AND MY 88 IS A MANUAL? My thoughts are that most of this stuff was mix and match between 86-88 so I'm hoping that it should be a simple swap. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Karlie

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The only differences that may affect you are that there may or may not be a Tach in the clusters, and there may be either an ammeter or a battery warning light. All of the options should plug&play, but having a manual without a tach is undesirable.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Plug and play.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Oil pressure gauge and oil pressure warning light use different senders. That's an easy swap and cheap if you have to do it.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Oil pressure gauge and oil pressure warning light use different senders. That's an easy swap and cheap if you have to do it.
There is that. The sender for the gauge will turn the light on when you have pressure.

I got around that by installing a mechanical pressure gauge and leaving the cluster's indicator disconnected completely.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
There is that. The sender for the gauge will turn the light on when you have pressure.

I got around that by installing a mechanical pressure gauge and leaving the cluster's indicator disconnected completely.
Mine had the wrong sender when I bought it, I didn't know because it was disconnected :( I didn't think to look to see if it was hooked up before I bought it. :( :(

It runs good without any more than the usual noise.
I bought the correct sender for the warning light in the dash.
I'm afraid to hook it up now :)

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Mine had the wrong sender when I bought it, I didn't know because it was disconnected :( I didn't think to look to see if it was hooked up before I bought it. :( :(

It runs good without any more than the usual noise.
I bought the correct sender for the warning light in the dash.
I'm afraid to hook it up now :)
Yeah, I forgot about that part. I swapped my tach cluster in at the same time I put in an engine from an 89, and didn't think much of it, when I hooked everything up the light was off until I started the engine, so I unhooked it and left it until I got a mechanical gauge. Much happier with that because I can see what it is really doing, but I know what to expect and to not freak out when the pressure drops off as the engine warms up.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I forgot about that part. I swapped my tach cluster in at the same time I put in an engine from an 89, and didn't think much of it, when I hooked everything up the light was off until I started the engine, so I unhooked it and left it until I got a mechanical gauge. Much happier with that because I can see what it is really doing, but I know what to expect and to not freak out when the pressure drops off as the engine warms up.
I have both :yahoo:

The amount of oil pressure it takes for the light to come on is pitiful... but for about $10 it is a good attention getter if I blow a hose or something.

FWIW some 86-88 tach clusters can have the tach signal wired differently. There is a deal in the "submit info for tech library" where Shran touches on it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals