• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to check coil packs on 2.3 l

dedricreed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Anyone??? I've used the search and I see to check primary and secondary but I've found different reports of what they should read. I'm also still unclear as to how I test it and the ohm range to look for when testing it.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Anyone??? I've used the search and I see to check primary and secondary but I've found different reports of what they should read. I'm also still unclear as to how I test it and the ohm range to look for when testing it.
1) you should get a haynes maual...page 5-4. primary less than 5 ohms, probe the center terminal and either side of the other 2 on the primary terminal. secondary 13k-15k ohms, probe thewire sockets in pairs 1/4, 2/3

2) if you want to test the coils fine but if you are having an issue with the truck post what the problem is and maybe we can help.

3) you also can swap the coils and if the truck runs differently then you know it is a coil.

pinturbo75

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
whats wrong with just puttiing a timing gun on one plug wire of each of them to see if they are firing? seems a simple way to check it to me...

1994RANGER1994

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
whats wrong with just puttiing a timing gun on one plug wire of each of them to see if they are firing? seems a simple way to check it to me...
that would tell you if it is sparking, but doesn't automaticlly mean coil could be wiring or ign module.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals