• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine Ticking, Lets See How Long It Lasts

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
It's been awhile guys.

So I always use synthetic oil and go about 5-6k miles between changes. Well about 4kish miles after my last change my engine starting ticking really loud. When I got home I checked and my oil was low. I bought new oil and a filter. I went to go take off the oil filter and it was pretty much just hanging there as 3 twists took it off. I drained the oil and checked, 1 1/2 qts. Holy shit Batman. So the synthetic oil helps but it still ticks and I make sure to keep it at 2k RPM when accelerating. If I go above 2k RPM the engine makes a lot of top end noise like its dry. I'm pretty sure just the top end was damaged.
I drove like this for the past month and just recently became homeless so I'm in a hotel within 0.5 miles of my job.

I really don't know where I'm going with this aside from how reliable this engine has been. Has anyone else had this happen, if so how long did the engine last you?

CaptonZap

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just a WAG, but could it be that a lifter, or two, collapsed? Some Marvel Mystery Oil might help, or not.

CZ

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 4.0L OHV (Over Head Valve) V-6 engine found its way in to the Ford Ranger in 1990 and ultimately replaced the 2.9L V-6. This evolutionary redesign of the American 2.9L solved many of the reliability issues that plagued its predecessor. A beefier cylinder head design eliminated the 2.9L's common failure of cracked heads. Hydraulic roller lifters replaced the simple hydraulic lifters used in the 2.9L, which were sometimes overly sensitive to oil contamination, often requiring the lifters to be replaced prematurely. However, one major design fault was not completely eliminated: Valve rockers and upper pushrod tips still received poor oil supply, resulting in eventual wear to these areas, and consequential valvetrain noise as a result of the increased clearance. Required replacement of these parts is common in older engines.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/4_0_Page.shtml

I thought they still had problems with lifters. Being ran dry sure (or close to it) wouldn't help anything. I would point my finger at them.

On a semi related note the 5.4 in my dd has been making lifter noise now that we are in a cold snap. Never done it in the 11 years prior, changed the oil two weeks ago, it did it once (fluke? you never know) it warmed up outside and quit and then it has done it the last three days which has also been cold, like below 20* in the mornings... I wonder if I got a filter with a bad anti-drainback valve. It just makes noise for about 5 sec after I start it though.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
maybe put some thicker oil in it. 10-40 or 15-40. might cause a cold weather start issue though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals