• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

broken line going into slave cylinder

mccrob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
broke the line going into the slave cylinder right where the meteal inside the plastic ends(on the out side of tranny)I was wondering if these plastis lines can be spliced with either brass pressure fittings or some high pressure hose and clamps,they want a $140 for one here in Canada,which is $40 more than I paid for the truck,and I'm wondering how much pressure is put on that line,that well help with what I can fix it with

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Go to a junkyard.

Hydraulic lines can see VERY high pressure. And if you redneck this with just any line, you'll make an unshiftable POS at best.

smokey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Transmission
Automatic
I agree with MAKG.
I have did a trail repair with a High pressure compression fitting and it held fine, actually I forgot about it and ran it for over a year with no problem. But a new or used line is preferred.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
You can splice the line together with brass fittings with barbed ends. I have seen it done sucessfully. You need to take the whole line out so you can get it into a bench vise, as it takes a lot of force to press a barbed fitting in there. Use some heat on the line but not too much. Then heat up the barb so it melts some of the plastic as it slides in there. A ball of plastic tends to form at the end of the barb inside the line, so you'll want to drill that out. Then clean out the line with compressed air. Hose clamp the barbs as tight as possible.

It is very difficult to do this, and has a risk of failing. I highly recommend buying a new line. When my line got messed up, I tried to splice it (just for fun mostly) and it quickly failed. However, I have seen this done successfully. I bought a new one from the dealer for $75.

mccrob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm going to try brass pressure fittings,the same ones used on big rig air lines which I have fixed many times,I need to see how good this truck works before I spend any money on it,they want more for the line than what i paid for the truck.

mallard1123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
truck
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
go to rockauto.com i just bought the same line for 40 bucks

mccrob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i've spliced it for know,will bleed it and see how truck runs then chrck out rockauto.com for sure,thanks for the info,u can only get that part from ford around here

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals