• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Question about replacing clutch master cylinder!

atvkid4eva

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l V6
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys i have an 88" 4wd ranger and the clutch master cylinder is cracked at the top nipple and needs replaced..so my first thought was to remove the clutch line from the slave cylinder and just install another whole unit..well thats not gonna work because the white clip holding the line on the slave is mangled up and WILL NOT come off ive tried and tried..so now i think im just going to get a new master cylinder and knock out the little pin that holds the bottom line on the cylinder..this would leave the line connected to the slave and then i would just have to bleed the system all together which i guess i my only option..does that sound like it will work? and what do you guys use to get the pushrod disconnected from the pedal and the small pin out of the master cylinder? thanks in advance!

Last edited:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
There's a tool for removing the line at the slave. However, doing it your way will work just fine. Just be sure to bleed the entire system BEFORE you bolt the master back onto the firewall. Hook it all together hydraulically, then bleed it with the bottom end of the master raised upward. Air sometimes gets trapped inside the master and bleeding with it bolted into the firewall will never get rid of it. The easiest way to do this is just to run a long hose from the bleeder valve into the reservoir and hold it immersed in fluid. Configured that way, you can just open the valve and cycle the piston repeatedly until you're convinced all air is gone, then close the valve. Makes for an easy one man operation.

atvkid4eva

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l V6
Transmission
Manual
yeah i have the tool lol...trust me it looks like someone tried previously to remove the slip and failed lol so i will just be doing it your way thanks for the tips! anyone have any recommendations for getting that tiny pin outta the master?

atvkid4eva

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l V6
Transmission
Manual
Well i got the pin out and the master cylinder disconnected..now i just need a new master cylinder :sad:

atvkid4eva

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l V6
Transmission
Manual
does anyone know for sure what dia clear tubing i need to run from the bleeder screw to the resevoir when bleeding? 3/8" ID?

thewhitepowerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 4-cyl
Transmission
Manual
not sure on the diameter of the tubing i used the stuff that was already on my vacuum bleeder. i just put a new master in my truck today and cant get a pedal to save my life....any thoughts on that??

thewhitepowerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 4-cyl
Transmission
Manual
5/16 hose i bought. 4 feet was plenty to run through the engine comp. to the bleeder be prepared for alot of time consuming bleeding...dont lose hope i did several times lol but i finally got it. good luck

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals