• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

NEWB: fuel system

FrankAlfonso

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So I just bought and '87 ranger with the 2.9 in it. I couldn't get it to start and have narrowed it down to being a fuel issue. I pulled the tank figuring I was just replacing the fuel pump since I couldn't hear it running. However, the tank is pretty rusted so I'm now planning on replacing it. While I'm doing the fuel system tho I figure I should replace the whole thing up to the motor well atleast the plumbing for it. So, my question is what all parts are there that I need to get in order to do that. Ive found the gas tank and straps, but the fuel pump gets tricky some are just the sender and others are the sender and pump. Its a single tank so im assuming I need both a sender and a pump? Also I was reading about the filters being an inline filter I'm assuming theyre an all in one unit like and oil filter and not like a housing with removable filter. So heres my list of things to get if I miss anything please let me know! Sorry for the stupidity of this its actually my first time ever working on a car other than changing my oil.

*Gas tank
*fuel pump & sender
*fuel Line(need to figure out size and type if theres more than one)
*fuel filter
*fittings for fuel line

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
The parts you need will depend on your truck. First you have to find out how your trucks fuel system is set up. Is it a single tank with internal pump, or is it a dual tank with or without an internal pump? Is there a inline filter between the tanks? Does your truck have a inline fuel actuator? Is there an inline high pressure fuel pump? Does your truck have a inline fuel filter between the HP pump and the fuel rail? There is a range of different set ups on these trucks so make sure you know what set up you have.
As for your parts list.. there's two different size hoses, 3/8" diameter for supply hose and 5/16" diameter for the return hose. There might be an inline HP fuel pump and maybe a fuel actuator w/wo a fuel filter inside of it. But I cant say for sure thats what you need with out knowing what set up you have.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Your 1987 Ranger will have 2 fuel pumps, at that time stock fuel injection was fairly new so the fuel pump in the gas tank will only provide 6-9psi of pressure, which is what carburetors needed.

Ford added a high pressure pump, in the frame rail under drivers seat area, to boost pressure up to 30-40psi which is needed for fuel injection.

gas tank/pump------------reservoir(frame rail)-------high pressure pump(frame rail)---Fuel filter(frame rail)-----------Fuel rail(engine)

reservoir was used for a few years but not all models, it looks like a canister fuel filter but is empty inside, and if you have one it will always be between intank pump and high pressure pump, on first start up the high pressure pump "might" need extra fuel to pressurize the system, thats the reason for the reservoir.

There is also a Return fuel line, it runs from Fuel Pressure regulator(fuel rail on engine) back to the gas tank.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I had a 86 ranger with dual tanks. A 87 ranger with single tank should be the same other than doubling the in tank system and related lines up the rail to the accumulator [sp], not actuator. Dave is right in that there is a variety of pieces used and not all are used in every truck. There will be a low pressure intank pump that feeds to the accumulator. The accumulator may [or not] have a filter. Then along the frame rail approximately under your left foot is the high pressure pump. I can't remember if the filter is before or after the pump. The fuel line runs up to the fuel pressure regulator and then the the fuel rail. There is a return line that runs back to the accumulator and then back to the tank.

Looks like ron answered while I was typing [and scarfing down supper], but it doesn't hurt to have more than one answer.

I don't know if the accumulator is still available, I remember reading someone looking and not finding.

I probably wouldn't bother replacing fuel lines. The fuel system doesn't have water in it usually so won't rust out. Blowing the lines out with air is a good idea.

Good luck,
Richard

FrankAlfonso

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys! I was trying to rush it a bit and get the stuff here so I can actually make it run. I will definately do some more crawling underneath to try and figure it out. My buddy keeps trying to get me to put a fuel cell in it but that still seems pricey.

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
Accumulator got it, Thanks Always floored, I think thats what I Wanted to say. :icon_twisted: Well since were talking about the accumulator I dug my old one out to show you what one looks like, and why I decided to get rid of fords fuel delivery system and put -6an fittings on everything from my tanks to the fuel rail. You will notice in the pictures below ford has a thing for plastic, plastic accumulator with plastic inlet /outlet nozzles, plastic fuel line, plastic fittings/connectors, I hate plastic!
1 pic. plastic bowl and filter.
2 pic. plastic Accumulator
3 pic. broken plastic nozzle, and the reason i upgraded to pic. 4
4 pic. ALUMINUM -6an fittings, one way check valve- hp filter- fitting for the fuel rail.

Attachments

Last edited:

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Hey, the plastic means it'll never rust... :)

FrankAlfonso

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sorry, for the late reply guys but thanks for the info. I pulled the tank to try and start on the fuel pump and age and weather have not been polite to it. The skip plate straps were mostly rusted through, the tank was in with one strap and hopes and dreams, as the tanks started coming down I started seeing gas drip on the floor. Unhooked all the lines, no fuel ran out, and got the tank on the ground turns out its got a leak. So, I guess mother nature decided it for me that I should put a fuel cell in the bed, run an external pump, get rid of all the factory wiring for it and run a switch on the dash. My local inspection mechanic said its all cool as long as I run a steel tank. Just need to figure out a good pump and what not. If anyone knows of anybody else that has done this I'll taje all the knowledge I can get!:icon_thumby:

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I believe most of the pre-runner types use a fuel cell. So I would take a look there.

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
Senornoob.."Hey, the plastic means it'll never rust... :)"
Rofl.. so thats why they did it, lol.

FrankAlfonso I know you will have to have the oem internal sending unit if you want your factory fuel gauge to work. If you can find a ranger that came with dual gas tanks from ford the rear tank is steel and fits flush between the frame rails where the spare tire usually is. I can take some pics of mine if you want to check it out. let me know.
heres a link to some facts about running a fuelk cell- http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/0310or-fuel-cell-upgrade/
Oh and a how to.. dont hate me TRS, - http://www.ranger-forums.com/interior-exterior-electrical-123/how-plumbing-fuel-cell-58116/

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals