• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Slave cylinder line removal

93Ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
93, 96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Welp, i've ran into a small snag. I'm gettin my 4.0 and tranny ready to swap into my 93, i'm replacing the clutch,pressure plate, and the slave cylinder, problem is, i can't disconnect the line on the slave cylinder. Says use the tool or screwdrivers and press the white plastic clip in and pull the line. Well, thereis NO white plastic piece in between the line and the slave cylinder. Short of just cutting the line off, anyone have some thoughts on how to remove it?:dunno:

atvkid4eva

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l V6
Transmission
Manual
on my 88' i had the same problem...i ended up just removing the small pin from the master cylinder side..if you are replacing the slave you could just cut the line i suppose and get a new one with a new clip for your new slave... there are posts upon posts where people just "pop" the line free..i tried the tool and everything nothing worked. good luck.

4byRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 turbo
Transmission
Manual
if there is no plastic peice you should be able to fit a quick disconnect tool in there, kinda like the fuel line disconnect tool..

it has 2 c shaped collars that will fit in there

93Ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
93, 96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Already tried with a fuel line tool, just isn't enough room. Guess I could unbolt the slave and pull the line through the bell housing and try the fuel line tool again. If that doesn't work then I guess I'll just have to cut the line and hope I can save the one that is already in my ranger.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I would go to a junkyard and grab one off another truck.

Or look for an RBV around town that you can crawl under.......:D

Most of the fuel line disconnects' plastic is too thick, you may have to trim it down.

cargs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
we changed the slave cylinder on my dads f150 (same slave). we couldn't get the disconnect removed so we cut the line on the slave side of the connection, and removed it that way. you need to use a hacksaw blade and a lot of patience! its a bit awkward, but saves you from buying a new slave line. once you have the transmission removed you have a bit more room to get the connector off the line.

good luck.

93Ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
93, 96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Well, the 4.0 and tranny are out of the truck and in the bed of my diesel so hacking the line wouldnt be too hard. But BlackBII, what do u mean take the plastic piece from another ranger? do they just sort of slip over the line? if thats the case i can take the one off my 3.0's tranny and try it.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Yeah, the plastic piece can be removed. It's not a solid circle, it has a slit in it so you can remove it.

93Ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
93, 96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Wow, something i did not know, hell i even looked in my Haynes manual and it didnt even say anything about being able to slide it off, then again, it never said do such and such if the clip is gone lol. Thanks! i'll probably give that a try this weekend and see if that works, i just dont wanna ruin a good line if i dont have to.

piotrsko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83-85/86/87/88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
11" KOSTOV 192V
Transmission
Manual
I had a brake place make me a new one for frankenranger for about 40 dollars USD, new line, new fittings.

Eric75

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Try to make a replacement from a stainless hose clamp. The clamp I used was 3/8" wide. I think you would be able to squeeze it in once you get it cut to the right length and bent to the right diameter. The point of the sleeve is to slide in there and release about 20 little springy sheet metal fingers from a ridge at the front of the fitting.

Once the sleeve is jammed in there, press the pedal and let the fluid pressure pop the fitting out. There is a valve on it so it will not squirt once it is released, but you may get a few drops.

The test results are not yet in about the long term durability of the stainless steel. There seems to be a little bit of corrosion on the anodized aluminum now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals