• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fx4 Level 2 value?

Deav

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I’m curious if the board and general ranger community thinks the somewhat rare, 2003 FX4 Level 2 has any real or perceived value above that of a standard 4x4 XLT of the same vintage?

I love mine but need to sell it to get a baby mover pickup. The level 2 had some unique upgrades from the factory. 8.8 rear, dual stick (trans and case), Alcoa wheels, 31” BFGs, skid plates, tow hooks, limited slip.

Curious if anyone cares anymore, or is it just a 14 year old 4x4 ranger?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The only person who will be willing to pay extra for an L2 is going to be a Ranger guy. To pretty much everyone else it is going to be just a 14 year old Ranger.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
To the right buyer it is certainly worth a bit more

Most buyers would be looking for 4x4 small pickup so the FX4/Level II wouldn't mean much to them

2002/3 Level II also came standard with 31-spline Torsen L/S 8.8-inch axle, it was an option offered on Level II after 2003

Best bet would be to advertise it as Level II and include that it has manual trans and manual transfer case, skip plates, Torsen Limited Slip and 31" tires, for those that don't know Ranger options

Deav

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for your input. That’s pretty much my take on it. Maybe I’ll try to get it on bring a trailer if they’ll list it. Find those cult followers with a large audience.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
If the 8.8/31-Torsen wasn't standard on the Level II after '03, what did the Level II package actually get you at that point?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ford dropped the Torsen and manual transfer case as part of the Level II package in 2004 I believe.
Torsen axle was still an option you could get but I think manual transfer case wasn't available any longer.

4x4 with electric shift, 4.0l SOHC engine
Ranger 28-spline 8.8" 4.10 limited slip was standard
Better/taller wheels and tires, skid plates, hooks, and interior package

Last edited:

Deav

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If the 8.8/31-Torsen wasn't standard on the Level II after '03, what did the Level II package actually get you at that point?
It was indeed standard in 2003 on the level 2. I know because I had to get the rear diff serviced at the axel guy was like, what the hell, did you know your ranger has an 8.8 31 spline? He’d never seen it on a ranger.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/winter2017/ford_ranger_fx4_year_by_year.shtml

I have looked around a little, Level II's are kind of scarce. Twin sticks are even worse.

IMO cast a big net, the guy that will pay more for a Level II probably won't be local to you.

The local Ford dealer took in a minty fresh twin stick LVII on trade for a new '15 Mustang a few years ago. They had a stupid high price on it, it was there maybe 3 weeks.

They are starting to get to the U-Pull-It age too, I caught an '04 last spring that had taken a hard hit in the front and nabbed the two sticks for my '85. Rear axle and wheels were already gone, the next time I was in there a week later the trans and tcase were gone. If people want certain parts of them they are going to be more able to just build their own (if they want a manual t-case, Torson, shifters, dash, seats etc) I would still love to sneak up on a set of Alocas...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Torsen is listed until 2007 so I stand corrected

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Torsen is listed until 2007 so I stand corrected
Yeah, it went as long as the Level II did.

I did not know they kept up with the fancy shifters and stuff after the Level II died, I figured they just kept the FX4 as the sticker/shock package after 2007.

Sublime

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My first post but I joined in order to try and find an FX4 Level II. I had a 2002 FX4 and kind of regret trading it in back in the day.

From being on the lookout for these the 2002 and 2003 seem to be the hardest to find in nice condition. I'm also finding out hidden rust underneath is epidemic on Rangers. At least up here in the rust belt anyway.

I'm also finding the majority FX4s listed on CarGurus rather than Autotrader or ebay if you want to compare.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals