• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2/0 drop issue

Lil2much

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Have 88' Ranger that I recently replaced tie rods/ suspension on. I decided to drop the front end and bought lowering springs and shocks as described on this site here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/suspension_drop.shtml

The write-up states that I should be ok with the 2" drop with out having to buy drop beams. The drop overall looks great (pics soon) however when took for alignment it was rejected for being to low and drop beams were said to be required. If Im happy with the the 2" the springs/shocks gave me, is buying drop beams my only way to correct the alignment/camber issue?

Also, I have gabriel hijackers in the back, air adjustable. I would like to keep this way due to hauling on occasion. If I correct the front alignment issue by scraping together the $400+ for drop beams, should I be ok without having to drop the back for anything? I can go down to 25psi on the adjustable shocks which is a decent stance to my liking since the rear rims are 1 inch larger.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You'll need camber bushings to get it alignable if you don't already have them. If you do have them, then take the truck to a different alignment shop. There shouldn't be any reason why it wouldn't be alignable with just some 2 inch drop springs.

Drop beams are nice, but they shouldn't be necessary for your situation.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The write-up states that I should be ok with the 2" drop with out having to buy drop beams. The drop overall looks great (pics soon) however when took for alignment it was rejected for being to low and drop beams were said to be required. If Im happy with the the 2" the springs/shocks gave me, is buying drop beams my only way to correct the alignment/camber issue?
Assuming that nothing else is wrong with the suspension then the shop is entirely wrong about needing beams to align it. Even if there is something wrong (bent beam) drop beams wouldn't be needed.

Just to clarify that write up drop springs only for 2", drop beams only for 3", drop beams and drop springs for 5". Drop beams can often be aligned without having camber eccentrics. Drop springs pretty much guarantee needing camber eccentrics (adjusters, bushings). Adjustable ones good for I think about 3.5 degrees are available from NAPA.

Also, I have gabriel hijackers in the back, air adjustable. I would like to keep this way due to hauling on occasion. If I correct the front alignment issue by scraping together the $400+ for drop beams, should I be ok without having to drop the back for anything? I can go down to 25psi on the adjustable shocks which is a decent stance to my liking since the rear rims are 1 inch larger.
If 2" is what you want best to try and get it aligned with that. Find those camber adjusters and take it to a different shop if you have to.

Dropping the front doesn't require dropping the rear, just might look funny driving down the road with that much rake. If you put in drop beams you'd have a 3" drop, which is only about an inch more than what you were planning with the springs. If you tried to use the drop beams and springs then you'd have a good bit of rake. Should you want to drop the rear I hear that stock length shock are good for up to 3" of drop, beyond that you need drop shocks. Should you choose to drop you may be able to find some Gabriel Hijacker shocks from an alternate application.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
There was a set of drop beams in the classifieds within the last month iirc, if you choose to go that route. I had 7" of drop on my 96 ranger and was alignable with the 3.5* eccentrics. I'd stay clear of that shop for any work, and recommend everyone else to steer clear of them too...

SVT

xN07xH311x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Lil 2 much, here is a pic of my "factory" camber bushing that I replaced when I just put in my drop springs.

Bought moog 2* bushings for 10 bucks each. With these bushings a shop should have no issues adjusting your camber.

As you can see mine are adjusted completely out at 2*.

Hit me up if you have any questions! Enjoy helping out anywhere I can and I just did this!

Can't wait to see the sick pics of your Ranger

Last edited:

Lil2much

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Really appreciate the quick replys. I almost knew Id end being given a hard time around this rural area with a dropped suspension adjustment. I really dont want to have to buy the beams but looking at the truck you can clearly see the camber issue.

The shops findings were -2.83 Left & -2.20 Right with a -0.63 Cross Camber

I did find adjustable camber bushings for $35 each at napa but they are only adjustable to 2 1/4. Still much cheaper than beams.

RangerSVT I sent a PM to Motofast but have yet to get a reply in the classifieds, those were the only ones I seen.

Also, I did already install the drop shocks up front with the drop springs as well before alignment appointment.

xN07xH311x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Lil2much I don't think running less than 1* camber would kill your tires or make it unbearable to drive. I would grab up some bushings, pop them in and wait (if you want to go lower) until you put in the dream beams and the front is all said and done. Then go get your alignment. Hate to pay twice.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Check OReilly auto parts, i got my 3.5* bushings from there...

SVT

Lil2much

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
xN07xH311x Wish i coulda seen the pic b4 it was removed, im a curious person.

Cant find anything from napa or o'reilly for my 88 that will adjust to 3.5*. Guess im just gonna grab up the 2 1/4* and hope it gets close enough for the trouble. I dont drive this thing every day, really just wanted to look cool haulin trash to the dump lol so really as long as im not wearin tires im not to picky. Think i also may have found a shop with drive on racks for the alignment. The other one said something about the beam blocking it also. Or do you think one will even be needed after the new camber adjustments?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
You should be real close with the 2.25*. Another option is to upgrade to the 95-97 beams, you get twin piston calipers and better choice of eccentrics...

SVT

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That drop looks good on front. I think I'd probably have to go for a shackle flip on back though.

The 2.25° bushings from NAPA were the ones I was thinking about. Found the ones I got for my old truck and the NAPA part number was 264-1507, looks like not the have it listed as "NCP 2641507". They should do you fine. You aren't aiming for a 0° alignment anyway. "Proper" alignment is probably somewhere around -0.5° (+/- 0.5°), so 2.25° of adjustment should definitely get you within specs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals