• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need a new Mass Air Sensor ?

Zero_Cool

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I heard that I will need a new mass air sensor for a 92 Ranger with 4.0L I am going to be running 30lbs injectors in it, and need a new mass air sensor that is calibrated for that application does anyone make them for the Ranger ? I am new to this so please, any help would be appreciated

downer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97 4.0 OHV 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
best thing is custom tuning/programming, but if you are gonna make other mods i'd personally wait til you've done more. you can swap in a MAF from a 00-03 mustang gt, maybe other years i'm not sure. i have a MAF from an 02 with stock injectors NA. some people upgrade to 24# injectors when they upsize the MAF to the 80mm mustang gt piece.

question is do you really need a bigger MAF? you mentioned you were told you needed it? 30# injectors are oversized if your NA IMHO. are you boosted or planning on adding boost?

Zero_Cool

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I got the injectors from my brother, as he found out that he need 50lbs for the mustang build he was doing(He is running 302 bored 30 over and super charged), but I will be getting a custom tune done with it. Also this will be going with a fresh rebuild on the 4.0L, I was asking buddy at the custom shop he said it won't hurt anything, if anything it will lower the duty cycle on the injectors, and lower the temp of the fuel being injected. If I am understanding you though you can use a MAF from a mustang? I have one with the BBK cold air that I bought off the classifieds($100 couldn't ask for a better deal), it was from a 95 Foxbody if that would work.

downer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97 4.0 OHV 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
some better info from someone else in case anyone else is interested in this.
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25632

MAF selection. Now I'll have to do this in year models. For the 90-94 or EEC4 trucks with the 4.0 I recommend the C&L 73mm MAF with the appropriate sampling tube calibration for the injectors you are running. One great thing about the C&L is you can use it for stock 19's and then when you do need larger injectors you can just buy a $40 sampling tube update for the new injectors instead of having it retuned or recalibrated. DON'T EVER USE A PRO-M OR ANY OTHER CALIBRATED ELETRONIC MAF!!! They suck and throw the engines electronics for a loop.

For the later model 95-up OHV's using the larger SOHC maf which is 65mm in Diameter works great. If you just have to have something larger then get a 99-04 Mustang GT MAF which is 80mm in diameter and is all you will ever need, the 90mm that everyone loves to beat their chest about is too large for a 4.0 OHV and is like using 42's. THere again don't get calibrated MAF's for these year models but rather since these are EEC5 you can have the PCM recalibrated for the larger injectors. BUT remember, if you swap injectors then you need a dynotune or atleast a tune using a wideband to get it right, there's no way around this.

Same goes for tuning, for the 90-94 using the right MAF you really won't need much tuning, except for s/c applications then you will need a custom dynotune. You wont find anyone who will do a mail order chip for s/c applications for EEC4, and if you do then you don't want it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals