• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need help deciding on new brake pads

bcw

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Cant fix it use a bigger hammer
Ok little background info. I have a 93 s10 that I occasionally race and tow. Its gonna need new front brakes soon and just lookin for some suggestions to upgrade to. Also is ebc brakes a good brand or just hyped up. Thanks

fredobandito

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I work at a national chain auto parts store, so hopefully my two cents will be worth at least a penny.

As far as the towing goes, you'd probably be okay with one step above OE spec. I know we carry five different lines of brake pads (three house brands and Wagners in-store and Akebonos in DCs), and the middle house brand option is OE spec. Going with either the top house brand or the Wagners should suffice.

For the occasional racing, you might want to consider the Akebonos. At the very least, check for a ceramic pad instead of a semi-metallic.

As far as EBC goes, I've never dealt with their brakes to offer an opinion. Maybe somebody else can chime in?

Dune Runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 4.0
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
EBC brake pads are great IMHO. I have used them many times. They are the only pads I run on my bikes.

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Dune Runner said:
They are the only pads I run on my bikes.
Same here. That said, I didn't know they made pads for cars/trucks.

truckfan

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The EBC pads are good and produce little dust.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
EBC are ok, but I'd rather have something from Hawk Brake, or Performance Friction.

AD

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
EBC are ok, but I'd rather have something from Hawk Brake, or Performance Friction.

AD
^^This. I decided to try EBC Greenstuff pads on my Ranger. They produce a lot of dust, and during the break-in period, they squeal a LOT. EBC says it's normal for the pads to squeal during break-in. What they don't tell you is it takes several weeks before the pads are broken in and the squealing finally stops. Stopping power is good, not really any better than stock though. I think they're overrated, and I won't buy them again.

Hawk HPS pads on the other hand, are AWESOME. Minimal dusting, excellent stopping power, and they wear fantastically. I put a set on the front of my Accord and was very impressed. I later put a set on the rear of my Accord, and a set on my Bronco. I no longer will use anything else.

Last edited:

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I use Akebono pads on my Ranger that I tow my race car with. They work great and much better that the original pads from the factory. I found it is important to run rear brake shoes with upgraded friction material also or the front pads to most of the work resulting in faster pad wear and more dusting of the wheels.

I have used many brake compounds on my race car including Hawk and Performance Friction. I did not like Hawk at all. Performance Friction was good but Raybestos has several race friction compounds to choose from and a few are better. I found one of the Raybestos race compounds to work very well for me on the track. You can't get the Raybestos race compounds from typical auto parts stores. I get mine from Porterfield Brakes. I don't recommend the race compound for street use but may work OK once you get them heated up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals