• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How do I wire my trailer brakes?

4byranger2000xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok so I tore apart my travel trailer and built myself a flat bed out of it. The problem I have now is how do the brakes wire up? I have two wires coming up from the axles, two down from the break away, and then the battery cables. I have no idea how to wire this up. Any help?

tanbuddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
One wire from the axle goes to the ground, the other to the brake controller on the truck plug. 12v + goes into the battery from the truck plug, i assume the other cable goes to ground. Im not sure about the 2 brakeaway wires tho

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Look up a pin diagram on the internet.

Generally speaking, the blue wire from the connector bundle goes to one side of the brake wire and the other side is grounded. The brake-away switch needs it's own little battery and box. The negative on the battery box is grounded. The positive comes out of the box, goes through the break-away switch and T-s into the break wire that you connected into the blue wire from the connector. Next, you need a charging wire from your truck to keep the brake battery charged. It depends on what connector type you are using. Generally it's the red wire from the connector. if your truck isn't set up for this you will need a wire from the battery of the truck (the starter solenoid or something similar) through a fuse, and then to the trailer connector. If that battery on the trailer sits for a month without being maintained it won't work if you need it. After a year the inside of the battery will be lead plates covered with a hard layer of white shit.

The Will method is to use a pintle hitch and in spite of the law, not bother with break-away switches. I have one on my truck but there is no battery. I had a heavy dip entering a gas station pluck the hitchball out of the coupler once and then decided to never use a coupler again. Bulldogs are good, but I have enough to think about without thinking about my trailer being hitched properly. You snap the pintle jaws, throw the trip-lock and put the pin in and the vehicles will be together no matter what.

By the way, the brake magnets can be hooked up either way--there is no positive or negative. One from each magnet will all join together at the blue connector wire and one from each will join together at a good solid ground. Don't skimp on grounding. That's the number one failure in anything related to trailers. Mkae sure the truck-side connector is grounded and the trailer side is grounded. Good grounds too. I grind the paint and use a bolt and nut and a wiring connector. Then I paint it to shield it from oxygen.

Last edited:

4byranger2000xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That is exactly the info I was in search off. Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals