• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Choice of diesel

Diesel Motors?

• 95'+ 7.3L Powerstroke IDI

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • 00'+ 7.3L Powerstroke

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Powerstroke 6.0

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • 1989-1993 Cummins 5.9L

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • 95+ Cummins 5.9L

Votes: 12 31.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
I'm pretty sure I listed what engines I wanted to know more about ? You obviously understood or else you wouldn't have replied. Not getting lippy with you I just don't understand how you post "author of this thread has no idea as to when the engines/bodies changed on any of the domestic vehicles" making me look like an idiot and then post the answer to the question I was asking ?
except the 95+ powerstroke IDI does not exist. 94+ 7.3L in a Ford picks up were Direct injection.

The Cummins was basically the same from 89 till the 24v came out. make sure you fix that killer dowel pin.

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
except the 95+ powerstroke IDI does not exist. 94+ 7.3L in a Ford picks up were Direct injection.

The Cummins was basically the same from 89 till the 24v came out. make sure you fix that killer dowel pin.
89-94 = IDI
95-98 = 7.3L PSD
99-03 = 7.3L newer PSD

got it

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my vote's for the good ol 7.3- huge aftermarket, insane reliability, ok gas mileage.

12v cummins sound cool but theyre useless when in a DODGE.

and the duracrap is a japanese joke of an engine in a shitty IFS truck. has a powerband like a 2 stroke motorcycle and sounds about the same, too. aluminum heads on a diesel? come on...

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my vote's for the good ol 7.3- huge aftermarket, insane reliability, ok gas mileage.

12v cummins sound cool but theyre useless when in a DODGE.

and the duracrap is a japanese joke of an engine in a shitty IFS truck. has a powerband like a 2 stroke motorcycle and sounds about the same, too. aluminum heads on a diesel? come on...
Some 2-stroke. Any of these latest diesels can draw a straight line at 650ft# from 600-3200rpm. Problem is, all the parts behind the motor will be disgorged out onto the street like a game of pick-up sticks.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
89-94 = IDI
95-98 = 7.3L PSD
99-03 = 7.3L newer PSD

got it
this is kinda right.

94 was direct injected, but not yet a PSD.... I believe it also had a "P" pump instead of a DB2.

68Mercury250Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
this is kinda right.

94 was direct injected, but not yet a PSD.... I believe it also had a "P" pump instead of a DB2.

WTF? 94 direct injection ..... not yet a psd.:icon_rofl:

the first PSDs came out mid 94 and only with 5spd trucks, they had a "turbo diesel" sticker on the fender, not the "powerstroke" sticker. if you opened the hood and looked inside you would know:beer:

but were a powerstroke! only problem was the electronics used were good old Ford EEC.

only took Ford a few months to get it right and in 95 the "powerstroke" sticker showed up:icon_thumby:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Im gonna be the black sheep here....

460 big block.

Pull as good (if not better) then a 7.3 of the same vintage, parts are cheaper, eaiser to work on, etc etc, and you actually have some ass behind ya when you mash the pedal.

But if you INSIST on a smoke belcher the 6.9L/7.3L IDI's were good. Personally i prefer the 6.9 but there basically the same.

later,
Dustin

sniper_101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
After a lot of research, a 99-03' 7.3 with a 6-spd (preferably an early model with the good con. rods) . . . it's what I'll be shopping for this year.

Last edited:

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo

the first PSDs came out mid 94 and only with 5spd trucks, they had a "turbo diesel" sticker on the fender, not the "powerstroke" sticker. if you opened the hood and looked inside you would know:beer:

but were a powerstroke! only problem was the electronics used were good old Ford EEC.

only took Ford a few months to get it right and in 95 the "powerstroke" sticker showed up:icon_thumby:

I have looked at enough of them to know that the 94 is direct injected ..... ofcourse I only looked at 5spd trucks.....

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual

I'm pretty sure 94 was still 7.3 IDI,, but with a Turbo, not yet a Powerstroke...
Well, According to Wikipedia, 92.5-94 Was 7.3IDI Turbo and the PSD started in 94 as well, so 94 could be either..

I'll still take a 12v...

Last edited:

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I don't know. Every 94 I looked at said direct injection on the engine cover, however they were all 5spd 4wd F250 HD with extened cabs. Every one wether it was in person or on the internet so we are talking close to 100 trucks.... thats a pretty good sample size.

in 95 that is when the engine was labeled Powerstroke..... from what I can tell by looking at Fords from that era and ending up with a chevy because chevys from that era are roughly half the cost all other things being equal....

next truck (unless I get a Suburban) will be an 89 - 91 R series chevy crew cab dually with a "P" pumped 24 valve cummins and 6 spd providing i can't get a Crew Cab F350 fatback with a 7.3L powerstroke.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
next truck (unless I get a Suburban) will be an 89 - 91 R series chevy crew cab dually with a "P" pumped 24 valve cummins and 6 spd providing i can't get a Crew Cab F350 fatback with a 7.3L powerstroke.
Why the '89 cut-off? Anyway, I wouldn't trade my engine for a 7.3 Powerstroke. I have experience with one--a 2003--and I prefer mine. Better fuel economy and faster acceleration with a load. The truck I used was a 7.3/6-speed but it wouldn't give you any fuel unless the cruise was set. I did 3 long trips with it--one with a '65 Mustang on my 2,100# trailer from New York to Indiana; one from Delaware with an '87 K30 Chevy on the same trailer and one to Wellsville, Ohio and back with my 4,200# B2 on the same trailer. It cheats you on power while accelerating. You cannot maintain speed on hills without downshifting. But if you thumb the cruise button, you can make the hills without downshifting.

The 6.2 with a Banks turbo in my truck is about 250hp/450ft#, but you have it all the time. It will easily kick the '03 6-speeds butt accelerating and it holds the hills fine. It's not as capable of the power that the 7.3 Powerstroke is with a chip and such, but it doesn't need to be. When my dad drove a semi, he had 275hp and an 80,000# truck. My 185hp, 18,000# schoolbus does 70mph all day long. My 250hp, 6,000# pickup pulls my 10,000# loaded trailer without trouble. If I blow it up, I have two more engines for it. If I blow those up, I'll install a 5.9 Cummins. But it's been 6 years that I've had this truck, and 8 years that I've had 6.2s--same turbocharger on both trucks. And it's a daily driver as well. I'm not anticipating the Cummins swap.

And I love the V8 sound. On my bus I can't hear the buzz. But Cummins pickups bother me. I like the full sound of a V8.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Why the '89 cut-off? Anyway, I wouldn't trade my engine for a 7.3 Powerstroke. I have experience with one--a 2003--and I prefer mine. Better fuel economy and faster acceleration with a load. The truck I used was a 7.3/6-speed but it wouldn't give you any fuel unless the cruise was set. I did 3 long trips with it--one with a '65 Mustang on my 2,100# trailer from New York to Indiana; one from Delaware with an '87 K30 Chevy on the same trailer and one to Wellsville, Ohio and back with my 4,200# B2 on the same trailer. It cheats you on power while accelerating. You cannot maintain speed on hills without downshifting. But if you thumb the cruise button, you can make the hills without downshifting.

The 6.2 with a Banks turbo in my truck is about 250hp/450ft#, but you have it all the time. It will easily kick the '03 6-speeds butt accelerating and it holds the hills fine. It's not as capable of the power that the 7.3 Powerstroke is with a chip and such, but it doesn't need to be. When my dad drove a semi, he had 275hp and an 80,000# truck. My 185hp, 18,000# schoolbus does 70mph all day long. My 250hp, 6,000# pickup pulls my 10,000# loaded trailer without trouble. If I blow it up, I have two more engines for it. If I blow those up, I'll install a 5.9 Cummins. But it's been 6 years that I've had this truck, and 8 years that I've had 6.2s--same turbocharger on both trucks. And it's a daily driver as well. I'm not anticipating the Cummins swap.

And I love the V8 sound. On my bus I can't hear the buzz. But Cummins pickups bother me. I like the full sound of a V8.
A carbed 460 with a 4bbl, cam, and good exhaust would eat that 6.2 :thefinger:

lol, sorry man you know i like it old school.

later,
Dustin

broughton88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i love the 7.3 and the 6.0 very good diesel engines run hard and strong my parents have them both.... but me i got a 96 12v cummins and its the strongest toughest engine its got 288 on it and they are mostly all pulling miles i pull a goose neck with trackters on it from cali to wisconsin and this cummins never had any problems except ball joints the only thing the powerstrokes got on the cummins is there trannys hold up better after alot of pulling

broughton88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
oh yeah and a little cranking to the fuel pump star wheel and you will rost the tires off hahahah gota love black smoke!!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals