• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No Spark - 85 ranger

giggles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Howdy everyone,

I'm new to the forums and i've recently acquired a 1985 ford ranger 2.8l truck to get around in. The truck ran perfectly for the first few days, didn't miss a beat. then randomly on Saturday on a 30 min drive the engine cut out completely and i had to pull over, sounded like no fuel and i suspected the gage might by dicky so i had a friend bring some fuel out and i got the truck going again after a few tries. 300 feet down the road it cut out again and the engine hasn't started since.

She's definitely getting fuel i can see the jets spraying into the barrels when i flick the throttle so its a spark issue of some sort. the car was running perfectly prior to this with all slugs firing happily so i assume it's going to be coil or further backwards. stuck a screwdriver down one of the spark leads to check for spark to arc off the block to be sure and there wasn't anything. so first things first i went down and got a new coil. no go still no spark.

Started reading up on this site for some of the other guys that have come across it and found about the inertia switch. couldn't locate this on the internal firewall at all but i can see some plugs have been disconnected on the engine side so i think someone might have already removed it. Plus think the inertia switch cuts fuel not spark anyway. So now from what i'm reading the next thing could be the ignition control module, but i dont have much experience with that and i'm not sure where the ICM is. none of the pictures i can bring up from parts stores look like anything i can see under the hood.

My questions is basically i'm i going down the right path and does anyone know where the ICM is on an 85 ranger with a cologneV6 and what the hell it looks like.

Thanks in advance guys.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Good page to Bookmark here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.shtml

Loads of Ranger info

Your '85 2.8l will use a TFI spark system, they did have wiring problems and module could fail as they go over 20 years old, so not a bad system just didn't age well, lol

TFI info here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TFI_Diagnostic.shtml

If you want a more reliable spark system you can use a Duraspark distributor with a Chevy HEI module, simpler wiring and not too expensive to change over.
Read this thread: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117817

I think the 2.8l still had mechanical fuel pump, so no inertia switch needed.
Inertia switch is there to cut power to Electric Fuel Pumps in case of an accident, so fuel wouldn't continue to pump out of a broken fuel line, so mostly used on fuel injection system

Last edited:

giggles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Good page to Bookmark here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.shtml

Loads of Ranger info

Your '85 2.8l will use a TFI spark system, they did have wiring problems and module could fail as they go over 20 years old, so not a bad system just didn't age well, lol

TFI info here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TFI_Diagnostic.shtml

If you want a more reliable spark system you can use a Duraspark distributor with a Chevy HEI module, simpler wiring and not too expensive to change over.
Read this thread: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117817

I think the 2.8l still had mechanical fuel pump, so no inertia switch needed.
Inertia switch is there to cut power to Electric Fuel Pumps in case of an accident, so fuel wouldn't continue to pump out of a broken fuel line, so mostly used on fuel injection system
Awesome Ron thanks for the welcome and the info i'll start digging into it.

Dont suppose you know where the ICM unit is and what it looks like by chance?

cheers

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The ignition module is a rectangular piece of plastic bolted to the back of your distributor.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, as said above, the TFI module is the ICM(ignition control module), located on the side of the distributor.

There is also a Computer that adjusts carb and spark retard and advance, also known as the PCM or ECU or EEC.
A problem with this unit wouldn't cause a No Start, as the TFI system runs the spark system even without computer connected(SPOUT), although spark advance and retard would be slow to react.
Duraspark distributor used Vacuum Advance so Computer wouldn't be needed at all.

Last edited:

giggles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for all teh help guys.

so i followed the TFI troubleshooting guide from the stations library and found the junction between the TFI module and the Dizzy looks to have heated up and cooked itself. ( see attach.).

Ordered a new dizzy with TFI module so i'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers again lads

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals