• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Parking brake cable broke - SWB v LWB ???

craigdthom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Hello All

I have a 2000 ranger 4cyl 2.5L - My front parking brake cable broke the other day -
In looking for parts I was frequently ask is it a short wheel base or long wheel base -
I have no Idea ... How can we tell?

Its a ranger w/ No additional cab seating(3 seater) - the bed looks small - the bed with the stepside

Replacing that front parking brake cable - Is this something that can be done at the house???

thanks
Craig

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
you have a short wheel base (std cab 6ft bed), you can do the cable in your driveway, just be warned that it can a pain to get the cable into the pedal assembly itself. the easiest way ive found to replace them is to remove the cable ends from the parking brake arms in the drums and then put everything into place, then reconnect the cables to the arms.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
measure from center of your front wheels to the center of your rear wheels. mine is 112"......if you broke the front cable that goes in the ebrake mechanism. I think the cable are all the same for the trucks. I think the intermediate cable are the ones that are different. I replaced my front one. it was a total pita. if I had to do it again it would be much much easier since i did once already. here is a thread about it. I took pictures at about post #18.. I ended up taking my mechanism off but know that i know how to do it I could do it with the mechanism in the truck even is the cable broke inside the mechanism..... http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?p=829853#post829853

Last edited:

craigdthom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks .. Sounds like Its a lil more involved than I anticipated. I guess I can go ahead and do those back brakes while I am at it.

I see a connector dangling under the truck ... I was hoping it was as simple as feeding the new cable back thru the front and connecting to the back half of the cable via the connector

Thanks again ... I'll keep you all updated
Craig

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks .. Sounds like Its a lil more involved than I anticipated. I guess I can go ahead and do those back brakes while I am at it.

I see a connector dangling under the truck ... I was hoping it was as simple as feeding the new cable back thru the front and connecting to the back half of the cable via the connector

Thanks again ... I'll keep you all updated
Craig
if there is a part of the front cable that you can grab. you can use visegrips etc and pull the cable toward the rear of the truck from underneath.....as you pull the cable you will see the end of it show up in the little window of the mechanism.( you need 2 people to do this) if you can do that then you need to stick a screwdriver or some type of rod though the small hole this will hold the mechanism in place and you can then slide the cable out......if you are able to do that you can replace it easily.....look at the pictures i took on the other thread......if it is the intermediate cable it is a piece of cake if the cable broke inside the mechanism you can still force the mechanism open with a screwdriver.....look at my pics for that also

Last edited:

craigdthom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
I don't think its going to be easy ... The cable is broken inside the cab at the pedal assembly :sad:

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't think its going to be easy ... The cable is broken inside the cab at the pedal assembly :sad:
for what it is worth.......since I did it once already I would leave the ebrake mechanism in place I could probably push the mechanism up and slide in the screwdriver in less than 5 minutes......that is the hard part........look at the picture i have and where i am pushing the bigger screwdriver into. once you push that mechanism up you then can slide the other screwdriver into the little hole to hold it in place.... You have to push really hard and you should get someone to then slide the screwdriver in the hole...........you might as well try because if you do get that part done the rest is just sliding the cable out and putting the new one in through the firewall........

YZ250Rider23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A word of the wise.... for the love of God don't buy an aftermarket cable. I replaced all the cables on my truck with raybestos brand cables and I shit you not, they lasted less than 4 months before every one was completely bound up. Store told me it was my loss, and raybestos told me to go pound sand. Go dealer only! Varsityfordparts.com is where I got mine.

It's a little bit of a tricky job if you aren't super mechanically inclined. Long needle nose pliers will be your friend when you are trying to get the new cable onto the brake mechanism.

craigdthom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Below is a snap shot of the broken cable. I have a bout 7 to 8 inches of cable that hangs out of the front of the assembly. [modelageek] did you say It was possible to pull this cable and lock this mechanism in place .. as this would be the easir route

Just want to make sure .. I've tried pulling this cable and I can't get that thing to budge - I gripped the cable with a pair of pliers and tried to pull - no go!!

Is there something else I can do .. Or am I pulling the wrong way???

Attachments

Last edited:

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You have to make sure the brake is fully released. I believe you might have to hold the pefal up. It is realy a 2 man job
One pulling the cable and one realesing the break and inserting the pin

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Below is a snap shot of the broken cable. I have a bout 7 to 8 inches of cable that hangs out of the front of the assembly. [modelageek] did you say It was possible to pull this cable and lock this mechanism in place .. as this would be the easir route

Just want to make sure .. I've tried pulling this cable and I can't get that thing to budge - I gripped the cable with a pair of pliers and tried to pull - no go!!

Is there something else I can do .. Or am I pulling the wrong way???
I was on my BB before and could not see the picture. the brake is definitely not released so release it. also it might not work pulling the cable from the front. you are suppose to pull it from under the truck. the cable runs over that CAM and down thru the firewall and under the truck. I think your best be is to look at those pictures i posted and look where i placed the bigger screwdriver. you need to release the brake and from underneath the mechanism push up on or around on whatever is there, it will move. you will have to really push it up and then the end of the cable will show up in the little square window( it is about 1" by 1" see my picture in earlier post) then you put a pin/screwdriver thu the hole that has the small ford stamp near it catch the pin on the back side of the mechanism and release the cable....the screwdriver/pin will keep it in place. after you get the screwdriver set .....the rest is just kind of a pita instead of a total pita :)

Last edited:

Houstonlh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
How you release the old cable from the mechanism after you get the screwdriver set and can see the end of the cable in the little window?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals