• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

FF 3.0L swapped with non FF long block, now problems

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This is not my truck and I don't have access to it.

My cousin picked up a late late 90s (IIRC) Flex Fuel 3.0L Ranger. Gotta think it was a 98-99 body looked right and it was a 4 door according to him. Had a bad motor when he bought it, but his mother had a 97 3.0L non-FF Ranger with a bad transmission.

According to him they pulled the long block (block, heads, cam) out of the 97 and dropped it into the later Ranger. Now the truck will run and drive, but "bucks" from about 35-55 MPH. Bucks is his word, I'm thinking it might be a missfire. Just looking for ideas to throw his way next time I see him. Not interested in trying to diagnose it or fix it for him, got enough of my own stuff that I need to work on.

I'm kinda wandering if it might be a cam difference between the FF and non FF motor? Causing problems with the computer not being tuned for it.

Any other ideas or suggestions I can throw his way.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The only difference between flex fuel and non flex engines are the fuel injectors, and shape of the combustion chamber on some of the early engines. The chamber differences aren't a big deal as later flex fuel engines had identical chambers to regular engines. No reason to switch the cam. If he's using the flex fuel PCM, he needs to make sure he's also using the higher flowing flex fuel injectors.

If he's got the flex fuel PCM and injectors installed, then I'd wager that the cam synchro isn't installed correctly after the unnecessary cam swap.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
He didn't change cams, I was wandering if that might have been the problem. That doesn't mean the cam synchro is installed correctly though.

Supposedly the whole intake, injectors, PCM and pretty much everything else (apart from the long block) are from the Flex Fuel truck.

Haven't looked at a 3.0L in a while. Does the Cam Synchro pass through the lower intake? Pretty certain that it does. It's entirely possible that since he would have pulled it to swap intake manifolds that it was reinstalled incorrectly.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
the swapped in FF PCM is looking for input from the alcohol content sensor in the fuelline. if it isn't there the engine runs really crappy if it runs at all.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My reading comprehension must've been off. Not sure why I thought he'd switched cams.

The cam synchro doesn't pass through the lower intake, but it can seem easier to get the lower intake off if the synchro isn't installed.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
the swapped in FF PCM is looking for input from the alcohol content sensor in the fuelline. if it isn't there the engine runs really crappy if it runs at all.
FF PCM is original to the truck, so the alcohol content sensor should be there.

Maybe I said something wrong in the OP so here goes again:

The truck he's trying to get running right is originally a 98-99 3.0L Ranger with FF.

It had a bad motor, so he installed the long block only from a 97 3.0L Ranger w/o FF.

Everything else is original to the 98-99 according to the owner that did the swap.

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My reading comprehension must've been off. Not sure why I thought he'd switched cams.

The cam synchro doesn't pass through the lower intake, but it can seem easier to get the lower intake off if the synchro isn't installed.
I don't know why he does half the things he does when working on a vehicle. That's part of the reason that I don't want to get into fixing it for him.

I'll pass along the cam synchro next time I see him.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3

The truck he's trying to get running right is originally a 98-99 3.0L Ranger with FF.

It had a bad motor, so he installed the long block only from a 97 3.0L Ranger w/o FF.

Everything else is original to the 98-99 according to the owner that did the swap.

seems as though I too should pay a bit more attention to reading comprehension.

but I'll blame this one on wayyyy to many leftovers

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15

The sensor would be on the fuel line, not in the PCM. Sure it's been plugged in?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I know the sensor isn't in the PCM. The FF PCM is original to the truck, as such everything needed (including the alcohol content sensor) for FF should be on the truck.

Got no clue if it is plugged in or was ever unplugged. I haven't and won't be working on it. As I mentioned previously, just looking for ideas to pass on to the owner.

Last edited:

LeftHander

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger SC
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
FYI, the FlexFuel system alcohol sensor interprets Seafoam and other fuel additives as alcohol, and adjusts for it. Results are sub-optimal. Fuel mileage will drop through the floor, like 6-7mpg! Won't run well, as it will be over rich.
Drain it or burn it. Will take a second tank, at least, to get rid of it.

Don't screw with that sensor, it's WAY expensive! ($700+) The computer expects to see that input, so I suspect you would have to replace it with the non-FF version to eliminate the sensor.

RDC

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Flex to non flex/gas ranger

The only difference between flex fuel and non flex engines are the fuel injectors, and shape of the combustion chamber on some of the early engines. The chamber differences aren't a big deal as later flex fuel engines had identical chambers to regular engines. No reason to switch the cam. If he's using the flex fuel PCM, he needs to make sure he's also using the higher flowing flex fuel injectors.

If he's got the flex fuel PCM and injectors installed, then I'd wager that the cam synchro isn't installed correctly after the unnecessary cam swap.
Hello to all, I rescued a 1998 Ranger ext cab xlt 3.0 "Gas" 4x4 from the crusher/scrap yard. The engine was locked/blown. I found a 1999 Ranger with a 3.0 "Flex fuel" wrecked and the engine was good. So far I have swapped the engine and the MAF , it has a bad skip acts like a old carb engine with the choke pulled on, or like a 3/4 cammed race engine loping. Any suggestions ? Thanks for this site it has been a great help to me .

RDC

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Flex fuel engine in non flex Ranger swap

Hello, I have a 1998 3.0 4x4 autotrans ext cab xlt Ranger without PATS. I replaced the blown motor with a 1999 3.0 from a flex fuel Ranger with a PATS system. I only used the 99 maf and it will start and run but not well, it shows error codes P0172,P1504,P0401,P1132,P1152,P0175. I can drive it everything works no problems other rough idle and the codes. I replaced the PCM with the one from the 99 flex fuel ranger and it will not start . Is there a pin out on the ecc/pcm that I can jumper or relay to get it to run ? Is it possible to remove the pats module from the 99 and install it on the 98 ? I am not sure but I understand that the injectors from the flex engine are a higher volume than the ones in the 98 and may be my problem with all the codes, most indicate running too rich . Do you think replacing the injectors to match the original pcm on the 98 would help ? Thank you .

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals